FT 8 Icom 746 Pro. Software problems

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W9MAQ, Mar 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To control the rig's frequency, etc. The Signalink interface doesn't provide rig control. That's why. ;)

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't that be done, oh, say, using the front panel on the rig?

We don't even know if the OP poster has WSJT-X working to pull in FT8 on a single band ...

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP says that his computer is not talking to his IC-746PRO. How is turning knobs on the front panel of the rig going to help? The easiest way to get the computer talking to the ICOM transceiver is over the CI-V interface using FLRig (or other rig control program). Once the computer can talk to the transceiver, the rest is pretty easy.

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The more, general opening complaint was:

Hello. I am getting started with FT 8. I am not having luck getting it up and running.'

I took that to mean nothing, as in "No thing", was happening, versus a more specific "I cannot get FT8 to set my radio's frequency". See the difference?

Here's the point, again, repeated "for effect": Nothing outside of the Signalink is required for BASIC operation of WSJT-X / FT8 on any given radio.

Some ppl, some ops, over-specify, over-think, over-complicate things. Using your previous example even: "Divide and conquer".

We don't even know FOR SURE what aspect is giving the OP poster trouble.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:37 PM
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To select the frequency from WSJT-X and do some other things as well.

6. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't have the CI-V cable connected to the Icom then in WSJT-x you must go to File > Settings > Radio Tab and set the radio type to NONE. If you have it set to an Icom radio then it will attempt to communicate with the radio via the CI-V cable and you will get a communications error message.

Once you get the system working via the SignaLink-USB then I highly recommend that you get a USB to CI-V cable hooked up and change the radio setting to your radio type. It does more than changing bands on the radio automatically. In the WSJT-x settings you set SPLIT mode to FAKE IT. Then WSJT-x will be able to automatically adjust your transmit VFO frequency to keep your audio signal at the upper half of the transmit filter. In the event that you have some distortion that causes audio harmonics, the harmonics will be outside the passband of the filter and thus not transmitted. You will able to operate over the whole waterfall and be sure that you are not putting out multiple signals.

8. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true, Jim, but I had problems getting my system to work with an EasyDigi board and Digipan until I installed CI-V+Commander for rig control. Now, FLRig is better for debugging than Commander and is a tool to make things easier to set up, troubleshoot, and operate - for only the price of a CI-V cable.

For me, nothing outside of a good pair of walking shoes is required for BASIC travel to the grocery store six miles away. But why walk when I can ride a Harley?:rolleyes:

9. W9MAQ

W9MAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys and gals. I have. CI-V cable on the way. I will give it a try. Hopefully It will work. The whole thing is that it is strange how many hoops you have to hop through to make it work.
    It is sure not a plug and play mode. The mis- information out there on YouTube is amazing.
    I thank you for your time on this matter. W9MAQ