ad: dxeng

Frostbite in San Francisco

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by G0GQK, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It gets that cold there every decade and a half or so.
    I do question the judgment of the fire department spraying that much water that freezes on the side of a building. There are some serious loading issues at play there.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those were beautiful pictures but I didn't see anything about San Francisco, or frost in San Francisco.

The "cold parts" of the country are about 2/3 of the "48 states," mostly in the north and east. All of California is warm, and southern California is about 10 degrees "above normal" warm.
  4. G0GQK

The reason is they changed the photographs ! When I read the article three hours earlier they had photos of snow and fog over the Golden Gate Bridge and other places. I posted it checked to see if it was OK and I saw they had changed all the photo's to Chicago. I checked on Google to find the original, not there, same internet address though.

Mel G0GQK
  5. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

title is misleading

[h=1]Chicago warehouse turns to ice after firefighter's water freezes on building as Midwest experiences day 4 of cold snap with temperatures plummeting below -36F"[/h]
    umm -36F maybe jan 1994. but it was no where near that cold last few days
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We're supposed to see -10 tonight here. Nothing like -36, but we did hit -40 once about 20 years ago. Below zero weather is more than an inconvenience - it's a real pain. The day it hit -40 we had to drive down to Iowa for my in-law's 50th anniversary party. It was only slightly warmer down there. We had our two little kids bundled up in multiple layers of winter clothes and blankets, and the heater in the car couldn't compete with what was happening outside. We had to to stop and buy a smaller ice scraper for the INSIDES of the car windows and windshield! I was very concerned about what would happen if the car died. Would we be able to get to shelter fast enough to avoid freezing? We had the standard emergency kit including a gallon can and candles, but would that be enough?

The miserable cold didn't stop them from packing a community center with guests for the party, though!

This is the biggest cold snap we've seen in several years, though. 20 years ago, we'd see -20 a number of times in the winter, now it's pretty rare, and we haven't got that cold here yet this year. It's actually been a fairly mild winter so far, and the lack of snow has actually increased the temperatures.
  7. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the current temp in Marlborough, NH is -1.9 F with a -18.8F wind chill. I have both wood stoves going and the oil heat is kicking in now and again. On January 20th it was almost 50F!

Why can't Canada keep it's bloody air?

Global Warming - Harumpf...
  8. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

9. G0GQK

The title wouldn't have been misleading IF the newspaper hadn't changed the photo's
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.