Freebanders in the TEN-TEN contest!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4SL, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a first for me. I was calling CQ on 28.320 USB for the Ten-Ten contest and got called by a FREEBANDER!

How do I know it was a freebander? Golly, maybe it was the electronic ECHO? The Roger-Beep?!?! The lack of callsign? The generic pseudo southern accent?

Now for the hilarious part, he wasn't happy that I ignored him and started trying to get my attention with an electronic SIREN sound, trying to get me to work him. I think because the string is Name, State, 10-10 number he just figured I was another freebander or something. He probably couldn't figure out why he could hear me so well yet I just couldn't seem to hear him...

It really made my day. No, I didn't talk to him, I pretended I couldn't hear him, but I was laughing like hell. I like CW better, you can make snotty comments about the other guys and not worry about tripping the VOX.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA CN88xa 10-10 #8211

2. KU4SV

KU4SV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good move! We sure won't gain anything enguaging in name calling,QRM'ing, and other sorts of lower intelligence stuff.
    I suppose the problem is here to stay. As long as you can go into any Flying J, or T/A truck stop, plop down your 300 bucks, and walk out with a 10 meter radio, I can't see any end.
    Anyone who thinks "regulation", or "enforcement" will clear up the looming mess, need only remember from whence these people came. The CB band. When it started, several decades ago, it was to be licensed, as well as used in a manner consumate with good business practices.
    So much for idealism, the truth over-ran it!
    Ignore the buggers, don't dignify them by stooping to their low level...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ku4sv @ Feb. 03 2002,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose the problem is here to stay. As long as you can go into any Flying J, or T/A truck stop, plop down your 300 bucks, and walk out with a 10 meter radio, I can't see any end.
    Anyone who thinks &quot;regulation&quot;, or &quot;enforcement&quot; will clear up the looming mess, need only remember from whence these people came. The CB band. When it started, several decades ago, it was to be licensed, as well as used in a manner consumate with good business practices.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, anyone who thinks that stopping the sale will stop the behavior is living in la-la land &amp; might as well stay there [​IMG]

Fact is, if it weren't for the lack of enforcement, they would have something to really fear like fines, confiscation &amp; for habitual offenders, perhaps some &quot;forced community service&quot; might be in order. [​IMG]

The best defense is a strong offense. Until we force the issues that occur inside the ham bands on the FCC Special Counsel For Amateur Radio Enforcement to address this problem, we will continue to experience a degradation of our licenses! What is the point in having one when you are sharing the bands with those who don't &amp; know they have nothing to fear in doing so?

You can stop sales tomorrow but what will stop the guys who already have radios from continuing to use them illegally? Nothing but tough enforcement! All roads lead back to that fact! Gabeesh? [​IMG]

RM

4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As usual Rm OL'BOY you hit the nail on the head!!! Was'nt it Riley who stated that until &quot;HE&quot; got the appropriate funding that he'd ingnore the problem??? Hams are easy &quot;TARGETS&quot; for his highness but God forbid that he'd really have to buckle down and have to earn his pay to get rid of the truly &quot;insidious&quot; problem that demands immediate &quot;ATTENTION&quot; now, not after the fact later!!!...........JD/nn6ee [​IMG]

5. KG4RYT

KG4RYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most freebanders only operate between
    27.415 and 27.995 ssb, Are you sure it wasn't
    just another bad apple Ham. [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NCUNIT33 scribbled the following smokescreen of misinformation on Feb. 05 2002 @ 07:21:  )</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most freebanders only operate between
    27.415 and 27.995 ssb, Are you sure it wasn't
    just another bad apple Ham. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    [​IMG] Hams use callsigns to initiate contact even during contests! It would be nice if they stayed below 27.995 but that is not the case in the last couple of years [​IMG]

Too bad the freebanders have nothing to fear because the Special Counsel for Amateur Radio Enforcement doesn't even attempt at doing his job IN THE HAM BANDS except for harassing those with a license! Its them &quot;easy pickens&quot; that makes for good press on the ARRL &amp; RAIN websites! [​IMG]

Too bad no one can get him to do otherwise, like his boss! [​IMG]

7. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

&quot;Hams use callsigns to initiate contact even during contests&quot; ...Wow...  Except...........

73 de Tony K8EEI

8. K8EEI

Actually we do not have to ID at the beginning of a contact , if you check your rules ,
    only every 10 minutes during a contact and at the end of a contact.

Here's my ID
    73 de Tony K8EEI

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

During contests the VAST majority of amateurs do identify themselves first since the station they are trying to work has to identify just what station he/she is going back to! Also, most contest type of QSOs take well under one minute. The FCC regulations definitely require that the call sign of the station be given at the end of the contact no matter if it takes less than 10 minutes. In addition, the call of the station being worked MUST be included in the log entry to be counted in the contest.

Also, there is a &quot;catch 22&quot; if you read the regulations closely. Although the FCC eliminated the stated requirement that identification be given at the beginning and end of the QSO and at 10 minute intervals if the QSO lasts longer than 10 minutes, there is another section that states that no unidentified transmissions can take place. To comply with this portion, you really have to identify at the beginning of the QSO! Otherwise, you are making unidentified transmissions until you actually identify! Thus, to avoid breaking the law, you need to identify at the beginning of the QSO!

Frankly, you can't win for losing!

Glen, K9STH

10. K8EEI

Usually I over ID ...On the air and even on this website

73 de Tony K8EEI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.