ad: wmr-1

Fraud attempt USING W8KMA---

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K9ZE, Jun 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9RX

K9RX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

and I was suppose to do what different? If I'm going to include an email then ANY email is there to be seen! The issue is the AH doing this - its not as if we as sellers can format our sell ad in a way that they're not going to try ... all it takes is one guy to get fooled out of what 20 - 40 tries ... and they've succeeded.
    Gary

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people do it, but including an email address in the body of an ad simply makes it easier for a scammer because he does not have to have control of a compromised account to look up your email on your QRZ page. Some swapmeet type web sites prohibit the inclusion of an email address for that reason. QTH.com, for example, will delete your ad if it contains an email address.

KA2FIR and KS4W like this.
  3. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent point.

I just got off the phone with me bank..... and they told me the clearance time could be up to 5 business days, and they would indicate when the other bank paid the check. The "Returned Fee" would be $5 That would be true for any form of check.

Paypal OTOH, charges as low as 2.9% for paying a seller. So if you want $1000 for that neat ICOM or Kenwood, you're going to get around $971 for it.

If you accept a check, you're going to get $1000 for it.

If you're selling that FLEX + gold plated SS amp for $6000, you're going to get roughly $5826 and so on.

If the check you accept is NSF or bogus, it's going to cost you $5 at my bank.

ymmv with other banks. I guess one should check with their bank on this. Some might charge a little more. Not sure if it's 2.9% though

There's clearly a "measured" risk selling or buying "stuff" on the internet. Paypal just allows instant gratification with a good measure of safety, but it comes with a slight cost.

It's definitely worth it to most people that want payment and quick shipping.

I don't think I would buy anything for $6000 over the internet unless I could go to the seller and pick it up.

So back to the original thread:
    In this case, I would be risking $5 for an extra $50. I would probably accept the offer, and indicate to the buyer that "I have conferred with my bank. They indicate will take up to X business days to clear the check. Once it clears, I'll ship the box" (otherwise, go to your cat box with a hammer and start pounding!!)

73/Rick

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

One other give-away is how the phone number is stated. Definitely someone overseas.

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting treatise. My bank charges a lot more than $5. And no, you're not risking $5, you're throwing it away because it is obviously a scam. It's nice that your bank said up to 5 business days for clearance. What that really means is it could take up to 5 business days before the funds become available to you IF the check is good. The real question to ask them is, "What is your maximum time limit to charge back my account for an NSF or otherwise dishonored check that I've deposited?" You'll want to be sitting down when you hear that answer.

N0TZU likes this.
  6. W5HEX

W5HEX Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is why guys keep getting scammed. It has scam written all over it so why bother even going through the motion? Does anyone really think you are going to make $50.00 extra on this, no it will cost you bank fees. Its a scam through and through. One that's been used forever. As long as people keep falling for it, it will keep occurring.

KA2FIR, WR2E and AJ4GQ like this.
  7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, sensible advice. And ditto on the IP address. I have satellite based internet and they have never gotten my location correct within 60 miles. And it varies a lot. An IP address may be helpful, but don't count on it.

Likewise phone numbers. I have a northern Virginia cell phone number ( 703 ) but have not lived there for 20 years or more. IP addresses, area codes, and US radio call districts are not reliable location indicators. Need to dig deeper.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  8. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely right!

I have a "MagicJack" VOIP phone and with my original LL local number number assigned to it.....But, I could move to the other side of the country and keep the number just like you can with a cell phone. Phone numbers don't tell you much, if anything.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

And not a peep from the OP … not even sure he came back to see any replies.

10. K3GB

K3GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Response to my QTH ad:

7/4/3:17 AM
    The response is from:
    Name: Christine Padilla
    Callsign: WYKNC
    E-mail: christinepadilla70000@gmail.com IP Address: 162.253.219.14 -- (Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/162.253.219.14)

The response is:
    Still for sale ?
    *******************************************************************************************
    7/4/2019 6:46 PM
    Hello,
    What is the condition? Are you firm on the price? Willing to pay your asking price but Im more concerned about the condition since Im not a local buyer.I do hope the condition is as you have stated and the item is exactly as shown in the pictures?

Regards
    Christine Padilla
    +1 (754) 300-6353
    ********************************************************************************************
    7/7/2019 7:17 PM
    Hello
    Okay I'm willing to add an extra $50 for you to reserve it in my favor.. And I'll be mailing a Cashier check for the payment, and once the bank posts the fund, which shouldn't take more than a day, I'll arrange for the shipping. Let me have your name and address so that I can arrange for the payment

Regards
    Christine Padilla
    +1 (754) 300-6353
    ********************************************************************************************

Emails are verbatim to those listed in this post.

gary b
    k3gb