ad: SMHam-1

Fraud attempt USING W8KMA---

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K9ZE, Jun 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9ZE

K9ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Moderator--- fraud alert --- see below --- using call W8KMA

Please move or delete if not allowed. Warning to others!

Read from bottom up.

Tim Lohman
    Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:03 AM
    Subject: Re: Yaesu FL7000 Amp...

Tim Lohman W8KMA <shybirdglobalsupplier@gmail.com>

Hello
    Okay I'm willing to add an extra $50 for you to reserve it in my favor.. And I'll be mailing a Cashier check for the payment, and once the bank posts the fund, which shouldn't take more than a day, I'll arrange for the shipping. Let me have your name and address so that I can arrange for the payment

Regards
    Tim Lohman
    +1 (754) 300-6353

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 2:00 AM ziprun01 <ziprun01@yahoo.com> wrote:

Your ip doesn't register as associated with your license.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 12:37 PM Tim Lohman <shybirdglobalsupplier@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
    What is the condition? Are you firm on the price? Willing to pay your asking price but Im more concerned about the condition since Im not a local buyer.I do hope the condition is as you have stated and the item is exactly as shown in the pictures?

Regards
    Tim Lohman
    +1 (754) 300-6353

Name: Tim Lohman
    Callsign: W8KMA
    E-mail: shybirdglobalsupplier@gmail.com
    IP Address: 200.23.71.83 -- (Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/200.23.71.83)

The response is:

Hi, Still for sale ?

--------------------------------------------------------

2. K0KJT

K0KJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I received the exact same email and format. For my AL-572. It didn’t match the email connected to QRZ. I have sent an email to Tim the actual W8KMA to verify. But I am pretty sure it is a scam as well.

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

The number 7543006353 is a Mobile Phone by Google Voice

Report it to google.

K8UA likes this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K9RX

K9RX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

got the same thing for my MicroHam Keyer.
    Gary, K9RX

6. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

While I do not doubt the email is from a scammer (it has the same 'tone' as they all do), these days, IP info is not good for checking a person out. I live in Virginia, yet my IP shows Utah sometimes. Even when it is 'accurate' it is off by 50+ miles, it never shows my actual location. Sometimes IP does. But if a person is using a phone, they could be traveling.
    My recommendation if you really want to make the purchase or sale, you ask questions that only a person actually selling or really wanting to buy would know.
    Google a supplied phone number. In this case, the area code and exchange is Coral Springs, Fl. You can always call and see who answers.Good connection or does it seem 'flaky'? Again, ask questions.

N4UP and KA2FIR like this.
  7. KA2FIR

Probably because of this:

"Use ARRL email address: call at ARRL dot net"

8. KA2FIR

9. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I am missing something here......wouldn't it be easy to just accept the payment, deposit the "check" and simply inform the buyer the bank needs "X" days to clear the payment?

KB2SUJ likes this.
  10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask you bank what their fee is when/if you deposit an NSF or bogus check.

N0TZU likes this.