ad: Mountaingoat-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 97

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear fellow hams, Oh dear it has happened again and it will continue to happen until the podcast writer actually listens to the wishes of the majority.

Let's see

(1) "Gentleman's Agreement"

(2) "Code of Conduct "

(3) "Government laws and regulations"

Now before you all even saw, heard or read this podcast it was a subject brought up by Onno whilst he hosted "F Troop" the previous Saturday morning.

During this podcast I called in and the subject was quickly moved to an Advanced licence examiner to provide the listeners with the proper way he would be conducting future exams.

The gentleman clearly outlined the above 3 items and then added he would then go on and teach the criteria of then passing the examination papers.

Onno then quickly passed it to me and I agreed with the concept 100% but added the following.

"The rules regulations and laws pertaining to the everyday operation of an amateur radio station should be printed on plain paper and given out to all"

That should have been the end of Onno's enquiry but NO we are back to the bully routine to get the outspoken ones off air.

Now I have spoken to Onno, two members of his group, the WIA and two members of the ACMA in an endeavour to stop what is happening. Most agree that the laws will be obeyed as written and until laws etc are legally changed, the battles should have ceased and the status quo of all rules, regulations obeyed by all. Some things have already been corrected and I thank the WIA and ACMA.

It is being said that the WIA is wrong or ACMA is falling behind the times and this will be sorted as soon as WE all start working as one in 2017 but until the petty writings and views are stopped on here and other parts of social media we are heading into doom and destruction. Please fellow hams let's stop fighting each other and just ask the author to answer our questions instead of creating further chaos. The views being listed are just one persons view of life on amateur radio but in all fairness, Onno wrote the podcast so it should be Onno answering your questions.

I closely follow all that is written and look at the pros and cons and I commend most for their honest answers that pertain to the given subject.

Regards VK6NO

VK6APZ/SK2022 and VK6NSB like this.
  2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the things that we need be very careful of in AR is the law itself.... All laws are subject to discretion and discretionary implementation....

i.e. 1: You do 5 kph over the speed limit. A police officer pulls you over. Now the police officer has discretion - right or wrong - in issuing a ticket.
    i.e. 2: Mayor Giuliani cleaned up crime in the streets of New York City via an edict of Zero Tolerance to law enforcement. This means that discretion, and adherence to the law, is revoked.

The things that we need from our regulators are CLEAR EDICTS that are WELL PUBLICISED when there are arrangements for discretion to be applied with regards to the law. This creates a level playing field for all - internal agents of regulating agencies, lawmakers that need resolve issues and for stakeholders that are affected by the legislation.

Without such clarity we get interpersonal issues arising... and interpersonal issues do NOT PROGRESS AMATEUR RADIO.

I state time and time again, that Amateur Radio is ABOUT PEOPLE and FOR PEOPLE in a TECHNICAL, REGULATED ACTIVITY. Without the whole role book chaos reins !!!!

Should such issues arise please avoid the emotional path (and I am very guilty of doing this on occasion myself) and look at what has caused the issue; HAMMER THE REGULATOR into performing their mandated role - REGULATION - and FORCE THEM TO MAKE THE RULES CLEAR.

The problem that we have here in Australia is that The Minister overseeing Communications, Senator Mitch Fifield, refuses to see his constituents. Being a high ranked Senator on the "how-to-vote" in Victoria, Australia he just gets auto-elected. Its time to put pressure not only on the Agencies but also on these SERVANTS OF US to remember WHO THEY ARE SERVING ...

4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my opinion that those who wish to act like A-holes should be forced to have surgery to make their face look like a butt so that we all know right away that they are indeed A-holes.

And, this will also give new meaning to the coinage of 'having one's A on one's shoulder'.

Dan KI4AX

5. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

lol classic example of rude elitist comment. According to you if you don't do code you are a cb'er , and of course a cb'er is a lower form of life. Oh the irony of it all :)

6. KK4HPY

Elitist comment without a shred of logic to it.

7. VK2OZ

VK2OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Lindsay..
    I agree with your comments 100% what we have now is divided Amateur Radio fraternity simple and it has become divided in the last 10 years or so.. i think my opinion only is that the introduction of the Foundation licence was seen by people who sat for the much harder exams prior with a lot less priviledges as a slap in the face and i tend to agree i do not hold a grudge against anyone who has obtained a Foundation licence if i was in that same scenario maybe i would not let a gift horse pass by.This is the point when things changed in ham radio the code of ethics went down hill swearing appeared i was calling CQ which was a waste of time on 40 M some hero came back and told me "why dont u piss off you old fossil" in 64 years on air never been spoken to like that,makes me wonder if it is worth paying the licence fee every year it was 1 pound when i got my ticket.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and VK6NSB like this.
  8. VK2OZ

I have never considered myself as being elitist i wish to thank you for elevating my social status if telling the truth annoys you do not read other elitists posts,but on the other hand if you wish to raise you social status and become an elitist post some relevant comment not just the personal attacks on people who post the truth that is what us elitists do not do Brian.

WQ4G and VK6NSB like this.
  9. KK4HPY

There is no logic to the idea that amateur radio ever was an elite institution or that the hams were better way back in the past. The reality is that at any time any high school kid could get a ham license, it has never been exclusive and it was never meant to be.

10. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm.... I have to disagree with some (and I stress only some) of what you are saying here Brian ... I think that my earlier post indicated that some did have (and some that I come across still have) elitist attitudes - just because they had to sit a test and/or just because they could pass the x wpm barrier in morse....

Oh and for that small time that I held a Novice call back in the early 80's - no Advanced Amateur would be seen or heard talking to a mere Novice ! We had to amuse ourselves (and yes this led to us being noticed... and hence reassessed)...

[ It sounds a lot like what I hear from many Foundation Call-holders here in Australia today... ]

Times have a changed ... The "makers" have the so-called "elite" position these days of those in Technology ... and I feel that this is because Amateurs have been TOO SNOOTY and have NOT MOVED WITH THE TIMES.

I note your comment that AR is now MUCH MORE ACCESSIBLE... But some of the attitudes I fear have not budged...

The revolution that we are seeing in AR here in Australia is I think clear evidence of issues.... And the revolution is far from over HERE IN AUSTRALIA AND OVERSEAS. The number of emails that I have from concerned Americans and Europeans asking for more detail on what is happening here in Australia is overwhelming me ! Resistive, non-constructive elements even now are working from behind to cut necessary evolution off at the knees... And I am sure this is happening world-wide as one cannot have this disease of reform spreading throughout the world !!! Egad !!! One cannot upset the gravy train of expense accounts and status when one walks around in public !

Its not the noisy elements that should be heard - but it should be the views of the mostly silent majority that should be reflected in any activity or organisation. To get representative views this requires good, honest, committed, ethical people - not politicians. It also requires attitudes to be changed via "peer-group re-education" of those with bad morals and ethics - those that would not talk to me as a Novice 30+ years back - perhaps the same that refuse to talk with Foundation Calls here. This is how attitudes and views change - through inclusion of all and peer-based encouragement/re-education of those with outdated morals and ideas.

It is the lack of responsiveness to reality and needs/wants of the common man/woman/child, and the appalling ethics associated with clinging onto "power" that has led me to come out from under my rock ! Mind you - I never hide under rocks ... some say I throw them ... but the reality is I act according to conscience.

I encourage our community to ask questions; I encourage all to examine their own ethics, and examine the ethics of others; I actively encourage all Amateurs (and SWL's) to work towards collective inclusion and constructive gain for our small but mighty (and underestimated) community not just in local dominions but internationally.... ;-)

Amateur Radio is FOR people and ABOUT PEOPLE, in a technical, regulated environment. People come first.Without people there is nobody to hear what we send ... so there is no point in what we do without people.

11. WA1SAZ

WA1SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is "political correctness" other than treating people with respect and courtesy? I am tired of hearing about how political correctness is the root of all evil. Nonsense! The problem is not political correctness. It is the failure of some to heed the golden rule, thinking that they are somehow above all that and that their rights and pleasures somehow rate more than those of others in the community. Ultimately, this attitude poisons the pot for everyone.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  12. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

YOUR HEAD IS ABSOLUTELY IN THE SAND IF YOU THINK THAT POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS ONLY ABOUT TREATING PEOPLE WITH RESPECT AND COURTESY. IT IS MOSTLY ABOUT THE STIFLING OF EXPRESSING ONE'S OWN OPINION WHICH DOES NOT AGREE WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT BE OFFENDED. THIS WORLD HAS BECOME FULL OF PEOPLE WHO MAKE THEIR LIVES AROUND WAITING TO BE OFFENDED AND PEOPLE AFRAID TO STATE THEIR OPINIONS FOR FEAR OF OFFENDING. SOMEONE DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED BY SOMETHING I SAY UNLESS I MEANT TO OFFEND. IF ONE DISAGREES OR FEELS OFFENDED THEN WE SHOULD HAVE MORE DISCUSSION TO CLARIFY ETC. THERE IS NO ALLOWANCE FOR SUCH DISCUSSION AT THE ALTER OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

HERE'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT....IT IS NOW POLITICALLY CORRECT TO BELIEVE AN INDIVIDUAL CAN CHOOSE WHAT GENDER THEY ARE FROM A LIST THAT IS FAR LARGER THAN TWO. AFTER THEY MAKE THIS CHOICE THEY EXPECT EVERYONE ELSE TO FALL IN LINE, LAWS TO BE PASSED, ETC. TRY AND EXPRESS AN OPPOSING OPINION TO THAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

YOU HAVE ALREADY CALLED AN OPINION OF MINE NONSENSE, HOW RESPECTFUL AND COURTEOUS OF YOU...NAME CALLING AND SHOUTING DOWN WILL PROBABLY BE NEXT.

THAT BEING SAID YOU HAVE A VERY NICE QRZ PAGE.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    K0PV/SK2023, W4QBQ and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  13. WA1SAZ

WA1SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your need to "yell" speaks volumes. And you are absolutely correct. I do call your point nonsense. Just because I believe in respect and courtesy, especially over the air, does not mean I turn off my BS detector. Nor I did not denigrate you personally, I merely said that I believe you are wrong and that the point in nonsense. We are all subject sometimes to espousing nonsense from time to time; I wouldn't take that criticism too personally. You're the one shouting and taking personal shots now. Sorry my opinion causes you such angst, but just as you are entitled to yours, I'll feel free to mine, thank you very much.

That being said, thank you for the compliment on my page. :)

KE9OL likes this.
  14. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY THAT. I USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE MY EYESIGHT IS FAILING...IT'S EASIER FOR ME TO SEE. NOT ANGST OR YELLING JUST A REPLY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

15. VK2OZ

Nobody ever said as far as i can recall in 60 odd years as a licenced full call that ham radio was elitist or any such notion like that it is one thing to get a ham licence through hard effort rather than being let loose on the air with minimal effort and knowledge.Yes sure many say it is that dreaded morse code that stopped me maybe so but really how much effort was put into trying to attain a level to pass it.
    I point out here that an old timer friend of mine kept at the morse for some 2 years didnt give up and finally cracked it to upgrade from a limited to full call now that is dedication something that is lost now days as most expect the easy way out or it is my right.

WQ4G and VK6NSB like this.