ad: HamHats-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 97

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You USE wikipedia??
    ;-)

2. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

no code = one big cb band

3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Code doesn't make people behave. Some of the 160m and 80m 'nets' that I'm hearing at night are CB already. :mad:

They aren't real 'nets' but even George Carlin would blush. And these aren't no-code newbies doing it from what I can tell.

K2MOB and N5TZH like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's plenty of bad behavior on CW as well, but since it takes so long to get the nonsense across, there are fewer who are patient enough to transmit their anger.

I am on CW almost exclusively for some time. This, from a (previous) 40 year 'fone man'.

VE3EEI, K2IE and K2MOB like this.
  5. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Part 95??

o_O

6. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my dealings with OT's, OM's and the like its really a mixed bag. Sometimes I get great help, insight, and info and other times I get rude, snobbish answers to the same questions. I will say the more I build and learn the more I run into the not so helpful hams. I have stopped to ask myself is the question to hard or is it something that's assumed everyone knows....I don't know...hihi. Only thing we can do is worry about how you (me) handle it and promote good practice. I just spent the day helping another ham with his SDR and was happy to, but to each his own. I love to solve problems and learn, you never know when you might need that bit of knowledge from way back when you helped that random ham with a odd issue and now you have it and know how to fix it. But again to each his own, I don't think being "PC" has much to do with it but more about different generations with different ideals and standards.

KG5JPB and KM4BDH like this.
  7. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

In my experience with other Hams, they were very helpful. i have yet to complete my first home brew radio which i feel is a right of passage (self imposed) but have received numerous tips and tricks helping me along the way.Being a repair technician it is genetically in-bedded in me to strive to help others and revel in their victories and accomplishments. The real question may be that we are to impatient to see a result and dont want to take the time to properly help people understand the reason behind the problem(technically speaking ) because it would interfere with our own business or agenda that we feel is always more important. we need to slow down and enjoy our hobby and by helping others we receive a better understanding ourselves.

W4QBQ and OH2FFY like this.
  8. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly with all those words in your post , most people here would not have taken the time to read it all ,,
    Never the less I am sure they will have big opinions about what you wrote , or what they thought that you wrote.

Then you will get the trolls that pop up and will now say to you , ''Who are you to judge !!'' :mad:

Now someone will call you a communist.

gregW:) OH2FFY
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HamAndShortwaveRadio

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    MM0XXW likes this.
  9. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

99% of reporting these days is about something negative. Conversely the bad apples that make up only 1%, get all the limelight. Politicians have worked this one out. The badder you are the more of a celebrity you become and the more likely you are to get voted for. Personally I have found, with a few exceptions, that the large majority of Hams are positive, don't misbehave and keep to the Amateurs code as written by OM Paul Segal W9EEA.

N4KCD likes this.
  10. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take someone under your wing, mentor (elmer) someone. Adopt a young ham into your group/club, have them bring a friend along. We can all point fingers but until we do something it continues dragging along with more of the sos.
    Politely instruct/educate those who need help, we all do in some way or the other.

VE3EEI, KG5JPB, KG5ILR and 3 others like this.
  11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The lack of capitalization made me "next" quickly,using a lower case "i" instead of upper case "I" indicates a low value read.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never seen "Communism" defined as 'helping others', as you state.

Communism is a political tenet based on public ownership of all property, espoused by followers of Karl Marx. Note the word "all".

Do you need a reference?

Ya see, I'd like to help you on understanding this. And for full disclosure, I am not a communist:)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

You should keep your eyes open , It is often said here by mentally unbalanced Zed posters that consider anything that is not for yourself , to be some sort of social ideology.

I myself have been called a 'Commie' 1 time and a 'communist' perhaps another 2 or 3 within the last week alone.

When a person doesn't understand or refuses to understand or consider another position , its often easier for them to respond with a baseless jibe or other verbal attack.

I just click Ignore now , , I don't have time for that BS from morons.

gregW:) OH2FFY

WA1SAZ and MM0XXW like this.
  14. KB0HAW

KB0HAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Aw come on man... You're breakin' my heart.

W1YW likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..and tearin it apart..so----