Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 96

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I can appreciate the cynical pessimistic POV's.

However, the discourteous misbehavior OTA is not originating nor confined to amateur radio. It unfortunately has become a dominant part of a media dominated "overly-connected" (ie, social networked) society.

Ham radio was the ORIGINAL electronic social network, before the internet, hence it does make some creative sense to provide a gateway between them. And after all the bleeding edge of the art is now mostly INSIDE the SDR / PC.

Hopefully this type of liddishness is just an evolutionary growing pain, and perhaps some day the advantages and benefits of civility will be relearned everywhere. Unfortunately, that schedule is probably similar to when solar / ionospheric conditions promoting HF propagation are expected to return.

To me its strongly ironic that amateur radio has ALWAYS been in conflict and concerned with governmental interactions. Especially so now that there seems to be a confluence of rampant attention by government and commercial users to the once bountiful amateur allotments up in UHF/SHF bands, followed now by new allocations for hams down in the MW bands. I found this article online that talks about how it was back in 1920, with a rather similar onerous, perhaps even humorously scolding tone,

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1920mean.htm

Quote - "... a considerable number of amateurs are rather lax in the manner in which they tune their transmitters. Broadly speaking it would seem that the small number of ten out of every hundred transmitters are tuned on the happy and safe side of 200 meters. The average amateur transmission wavelengths seem to run nonchalantly from 250 to 375 meters. This condition is rather deplorable, ..."

"Be reasonable. Surely the U. S. government is not imposing upon the American amateur when it limits the operating wavelength of your transmitter to 200 meters. Contrast this law to that of Canada, where the limit is placed at 50 meters. As a Canadian amateur recently remarked "With this short wave we may consider ourself fortunate indeed to cover the extraordinary distance of one mile!" As for democratic England, the would be amateur is simply "out of luck," for no license or permission is at present even obtainable under any condition."

What goes round comes around ... from the early days illustrated in the Clinton DeSoto classic "200 meters and Down" and now back ?!

73 de John WØPV

2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It keeps me out of even worse trouble.

W1YW likes this.
  3. N3TDE

N3TDE Ham Member QRZ Page

When someone asks what is the point of ham radio , why do people collect old cars , why do people hunt fish . its called having a life
    out side of work .

4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I CAN'T STAND THIS ANYMORE!!! Ham Radio not only brings various PEOPLES together on a GLOBAL SCALE (thus the "Friendship IDEA") but also with a individual's QUEST (HUMAN INTERACTION) being able to communicate EVEN MORE EFFICIENTLY!!! Unfortunately WITHOUT COMMUNICATIONS WARS ARE SOON TO FOLLOW!!! Maybe if OUR leaders had "Amateur Radio Licenses" they'd be MORE attentive to the WORRIES of our global neighbors!!!

ZL1BYZ and W1YW like this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

So, the US isn't the center of the universe? Funny how much of the countries resources go everywhere when the spit hits the spam. Here's to hoping THAT peace of HISTORY is left to the cowardly nations who can't or won't fight their own battles

Guess a citizen of a country that sided with the fascists of WW II wouldn't remember the likes of truth in spite of the reality.

Yes, indeed. That reality will bite you in the booty every time...and cause you to think the next time "a Reich" threatens the peace of this world

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    W4AAX and W1YW like this.
  6. W3KHG

W3KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Stated!

7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

But the purpose of Amateur Radio in the Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) is pretty much the same as in Part 97, and -- although I haven't researched it, my guess would be that most countries --like the USA-- have a definition of purpose based on what's in the ITU regs.

ARTICLE 1 - Terms and definitions

Section III - Radio services

amateur service:
    A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest. [emphasis added]

See: http://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/frr.htm

8. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct ,, that is why I made this post a couple of days ago.

''Many communications authorities , or licensing authorities , or leagues , have similar objectives for Ham Radio , but are not carbon copies of the US part 97.
    Often similar , but not the same :)''

gregW:) OH2FFY

9. OH2FFY

''Guess a citizen of a country that sided with the fascists''

WTF buddy are you on ?

This thread is not in the political section , if you want to beat your baboon chest and make noise over some political issue , take it to the correct section where that is somewhat tolerated.

Personally though I think you have said more than enough already.

10. OH2FFY

I think what you (we) are seeing right now on the bands is the chicken and the egg problem.
    Whats comes first , bad propagation , and Hams are not heard. --
    -- or is it , Hams not operating , so we conclude that it is bad bands.

YES , the bands are indeed poor , and they will be for several years , but are they REALLY that bad ?
    Not really.

We often judge the propagation by the amount of , and the distance of the stations that we hear when we quickly scan over the bands.....
    Less stations = poor propagation....

.... But not necessarily.

As propagation drops from the peak on the cycle the guys with inefficient stations , either through poor antenna or high noise , can't make contacts.
    In short time they will rarely even bother to come on the HF bands that they once used.
    So they go silent.

Is that poor propagation ? ,, perhaps somewhat , but mostly it is an indication of how bad their stations SUCKED.
    During solar maximum badly set up station can work , and even work well ,, but as soon as the sun goes on vacation ,, these guys struggle and quickly pack it in.

Of course they go off and tell people how bad the bands are now days , and so on......

And while the guys are sobbing over their Cornflakes bowl ,, guys with more advanced , or better setup stations are still out there making good contacts.

Again over time as the ionosphere gets weaker, these stations too also start to struggle , but still usually get something at times.

Some of my BEST DX was at last solar minimum .. WHY , because all of the band savages with marginal stations that do not much more than create pile up QRM , were gone.
    Perhaps they had moved on to playing Nintendo or beating their dog , who knows , either way , they were not on the air , which meant that I could work stations that would normally be burred under their incessant calls that were never going to be answered.

Solar minimum , bring it on ,, I am waiting for you baby .... :cool:

ZL1BYZ likes this.