Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 95

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL MAYBE HAM COLLEGE SHOULD STOP TEACHING IT. AS WHEN I SAT THE STANDARD COURSE IT WAS TAUGHT TO US TO SAY PORTABLE/MOBILE. WE WERE ALSO TAUGHT, JUST BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE LCD DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT LAW ACCORDING TO THE ACMA

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

VK6NO your attitude is substandard.
    Take your bitterness elsewhere because we don't need to see it here.

gregW:) OH2FFY

KX4CC likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, I didn't feel the need to listen to your podcast, in order to find the correction of your statement.

If you want to verify what I stated, feel free to look it up.

4. K7POC

K7POC Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams here in the USA do ID as portable, mobile, E-power or QRP station ect ect. Not doing so would make mobile, portable or QRP on HF potentially useless. A lot of people love contacting QRP, portable or mobile stations. Like myself! When I am up in the hills I talk to as many people as I can. Including lots of base stations. However it really helps out when stations use that little extra bit after their call. To me it helps all ham users be heard. Not just the kilowatt base stations. It helps keep the spirit of ham radio alive. There is something very magical about tossing up a wire and talking around the world on 5watts. That extra little bit of ID really levels the playing field. Otherwise we would all haft to run 1500w to be heard. Just my .02 cents. Can't speak to the legality of ham radio operations in Australia.
    Just remember to be civil gentleman. This forum is not the 11 meter CB band......

R

WB3X and KX4CC like this.
  5. OH2FFY

It is certainly true that license holders may be subject to more rules or regulations than what they cover in the course material.
    As a Ham goes up in class levels more of these minor details may come out in their course material. , or maybe not.

It is likely the Ham College information was just a viewpoint or an accepted belief as how that Op understood it to be. , but Onno is right , there is no legal requirement to sign /QRP when running low power.

In fact /QRP added to the end of the callsign by us verbally , doesn't add anything legally to our callsign.
    We are NOT changing our legally assigned callsign with the addition of /QRP on the end of it.
    It's not recognized by the ACMA therefore we are under no obligation to use it.

This usage may have crept in to common use as being an accepted practice. , just as ending a QSO with '73'.
    73 is universally used , but no where is it a legal requirement.

Just because a lot of people do something , it doesn't mean that it is required under law , and there are MANY ways of accepted operating practice in Ham Radio ,, that is not much more than tradition.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Radio/Marine-and-Amateur-Radio/amateur-operating-procedures

WB3X likes this.
  6. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

You ask us to keep it civil. What I said could be said in any Australian court and no judge would throw me into jail.

This man has the right to call us MORONS,BULLYS, LEMMINGS. CRETINS old age whingers in his podcasts and not once, I repeat not once did anyone say cease with the insults.

This man some of us believe has broken the law and this has been confirmed by one department but we will wait for the big boy to act soon.

He claims he is above the regulations or standards in everyday life but time will tell. Perhaps then and only then will he be told to get off his soapbox and shut up.

Gentlemen this problem is in AUSTRALIA and should not be posted on QRZ but it's the only place he can feed his stuff out to ham radio operators. Don't ask for more information as I agreed to keep other parties off QRZ until further discussions take place. VK6NO

7. OH2FFY

From what I have seen in yours and others responses over the last few weeks , , , he is probably right.
    If you have proof of any license terms violation take it up ONLY with the appropriate authorities and leave them to sort it out , not keep on following him around merely to ,, what I see , is simple harassment by a self appointed vigilante.

If you don't like his podcasts , don't listen to them , and go away , let it be. , but you choose not to.

VK6NO , on your QRZ profile at the bottom of the page you have written.
    ''Any good that we can do , or any kindness that we can show to any living thing - let us do it now.''

You sir , are a hypocrite , and its perhaps better to sort your own attitude out first , before trying to fix the rest of our us , and our problems.

KX4CC likes this.
  8. 2E0XET

2E0XET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes go for it! and a fantastic little radio besides. best wishes and enjoy. Wish I'd had the skill to build mine .. John M6KET

9. ON7BAS

ON7BAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I only use home made QRP CW (5 Watt) only on 40 m and always use /QRP and sometimes /MM/QRP .
    Now go back watching your waterfall...

10. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lindsay,

It has been suggested to me that I should not respond to your posts. It is clear that we have different views on Amateur Radio and contributions made to the hobby and its community.

Until today I have not responded to your posts because I didn't feel that I had anything to contribute to the dialog. On other threads on this website the NewsWest team have extended an invitation to you to put your thoughts about Amateur Radio into a soapbox segment for the news.

http://www.vk6.net/announcements/posts/20170323-soapbox-haveyoursay

The podcast that I produce every week, now 300 odd episodes since May of 2011, is included in the weekly VK6WIA news and on occasion also in the VK1WIA national news as well as on other podcasts and news broadcasts. It has nothing to do with the team at NewsWest and is not their responsibility in any way.

While I also happen to be a member of the NewsWest team where I produce and present other content, the "Foundations of Amateur Radio" podcast is a separate thing.

The team is unimpressed with your posturing about "Fake News" and based on our audience, feedback and website visits, I can only conclude that you are mis-informed.

However, the soapbox is available to you and any amateur.

If on the other-hand you have a specific grievance with content that I have produced, I would welcome constructive feedback and will consider such messages.

I acknowledge receipt of an email relating to my use of the word "Moron" in "What use is an F-call?" produced on 14 December 2014. In that episode I was referring to an Amateur who has taken upon himself to interfere with the running of a weekly net that encourages new amateurs to make their first QSO. I am not a psychologist, nor do I have any health degree and my use of the term was colloquial and not medical. I will not edit existing podcasts, nor will I erase history, but your email had the effect that I refrained from using such language. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do not believe I've ever used the word cretin.

As for the word Lemming, which I note was part of the NewsWest broadcast, it was in relation to a National News Broadcast, in which an Amateur referred to people on Social Media as Lemmings in a rant about how Social Media had exposed invalid proxy forms for the WIA Annual General Meeting, which ultimately resulted in the WIA publishing 4 different versions of this form whilst attempting to ignore its own constitution.

http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/display.php?file_id=wianews-2017-03-05

The NewsWest team was part of that discussion, as were many other people, and we felt that it was appropriate to draw attention to the WIA news broadcast by replacing the word NewsWest and Amateur randomly throughout the broadcast with the word Lemming.

Finally, the attacks about usage of the VK6ARN callsign by myself and Glynn VK6PAW, a Foundation and Standard call respectively without supervision by an Advanced Amateur appears to be based on an unclear understanding of the operation of a club station. VK6ARN is owned by WA Amateur Radio News (Inc.), where I am the treasurer and Glynn is the secretary. We gave ourselves permission - as the owner - to operate the call sign before and during the recent John Moyle Memorial Field Day.

We operated within the constraints of the documentation here:

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spe...ratus-licence-information-paper#Club_Stations

In that we stayed within the bounds "that equates to the qualifications held by the operator of the station", namely Glynn VK6PAW who holds a Standard License. We operated with less than 100 Watts, on battery, on bands allowed by a Standard Licensee and logged all contacts - and submitted those logs to the contest manager.

I debated about sending this email to you privately, but since you have taken it upon yourself to discuss this in public, I'm using your metric of civility.

So, again, I would welcome constructive feedback and will consider such messages and the NewsWest team would be happy to receive your soapbox submission.

Kind regards,
    73, Onno de VK6FLAB

OH2FFY likes this.