ad: M2Ant-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 91

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio.png

"If they're shooting at you - you know you're doing something right!" - keyboard warriors are happy to attack, but rarely provide any contribution of note, other than to point out spelling errors and explain how they've been wounded by something you said.

Clearly they are a loud minority in this hobby, but what of it for the rest of us. How can you enjoy this hobby and ignore those taking pot-shots because the only achievement in their live was to pass their Amateur Radio exam?

This week in Foundations of Amateur Radio I admit to a mistake - shock horror - and point out that there is a bigger picture and more important things to look at.

This is a weekly podcast about the wonderful hobby of Amateur Radio and can be downloaded from the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/ - or you can subscribe via iTunes, search for my callsign, VK6FLAB.

K3RW likes this.
  2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for this--there's nothing more frustrating than posting a question and getting berated. It has a chilling effect on the newbie ham and the old-timer trying to learn new tricks alike.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why exactly is this in 'amateur radio news'?

VK6APZ/SK2022 and VK6NO like this.
  4. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Dear W1YW. Chip you have just found yourself climbing the ladder to the BULLY BIN. Don't worry you will meet a few others that are already there also sick of this NEWS forced upon us on here but sadly we even get it on the WIA 6 News broadcast every week so you're really lucky. He is after us and I am so frightened my knees are a knocking, but life goes on.
    I'm one of the keyboard warriors that has no experience in life apart from my Amateur licence. Sadly this is another piece of FAKE NEWS as I've achieved more in my lifetime than he can ever hope and aspire to.

Better give you some old news so you know why I say this I suppose. 16th January 2001 VK6NO was crushed at work taking out both legs, one arm, muscles in the neck, sacroiliac and pelvic joints, spine damaged in two places and gave myself two hernias lifting the load of myself. Oh dear totally and permanently disabled at 50 and it was suggested to my partner old grumpy be in wheel chair at 55. Repaired and retrained I went on to be a manager of a tool hire company, a security officer, first aid officer, child foster carer for 6 years and advocate for abused children.

That's only 16 years Onno and all done living with 24/7 pain in every part of my old body. I wonder what I achieved prior to this.

Retired now I'm still busy with helping the poor, mentally ill, autistic children, repairing radio gear, PC's, cars, houses, plumbing, etc and I do it all because I feel it's my life and don't need any accolades from anyone.. I Laugh My A### Off at the News value every week.

When you start writing NEWS I'll stop being a Keyboard Warrior.

VK6NSB, VK6ATS and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those "Boyz" are aka "THE TRULY SELF-RIGHTEOUS TYPES"!!!

6. VK2OZ

VK2OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Frustrating is seeing this once socially respected hobby turned into nothing more than a glorified C.B circus .
    There was nothing wrong with the novice licence being the entry level into ham radio but no there were the one's whinging i cannot do morse it's all to hard well as usual in this place the whingers get their way and the novice licence was scrapped not a hard test,multi choice theory ,multi choice regs and of course that rotten word Morse at 5wpm i supported this ticket 100% even conducted classes had 95% success rate but all in vain the WIA screamedand kicked for a Foundation licence and no surprise it came about a licence that a 7 years can pass this is a licence it is a joke .

VK6NSB likes this.
  7. VK2OZ

Which boys are "TRULY SELF RIGHTEOUS TYPES" explain your comment.

8. VK6NO

MICHAEL we are wasting our time and brains. I agree with you 100% on your postings as I would say 90% also do but no one apart from a few will come out and say so.
    Each month this podcast attacks more and more and I'm at a loss as to how we settle his issues about ham radio.
    He refuses to speak with people that have approached him, refuses to answer emails etc. It's HIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY.
    Was going to ask him to explain the words MORON, BULLY and lemming to his partner then call her that in general conversation to see what reaction he might get. My lady would hit me with the frying pan right between the eyes LOL. Cheers mate keep looking in like some of us do. Lindsay VK6NO

9. VK6NO

Be careful too people this old Rock a Billy been hacked twice now but it doesn't stop my posts. Not saying who's trying as we don't know 100% but read a bit about the issues , a few clues out there lol.

10. VK6NO

Link on my QRZ page to send you straight to our insult LEMMING page cheers

11. VK2OZ

Onno...Tell us all what contribution have you made of note to this hobby sitting there with a licence virtually handed to you and others of your ilk and you want more i am a keyboard warrior only when i see utter rubbish published such as the posts you put here ,people that respond in a manner being critical of the direction of this hobby rub you the wrong way well do not post rubbish .Post something news worthy such as how the Wireless Institute whose membership has been falling since the 1980's due to in fighting lack of action in tackling idiots who tried to destroy this hobby actually supported them then in order to build up their membership pushed for this glorified C.B licence did not deliver the results they wanted and what do we have now to show for it.
    1)..loss of operating procedure as per ACMA hand book .
    2)..Nets all over the place talking about anything but ham radio,must be fair there is an boat anchor net on 80 Meters.
    3..) Swearing such as i and others from days gone have never heard before 3.590 notorious for it every night the tirade of swearing at anyone and everyone who complains to this group on their activities and guess what that beacon of light the WIA not a word silence is golden.
    I can keep going on about what has changed and the class of operators since the introduction of this Foundation licence,but to be fair to some holders of the Foundation they are decent guys and girls i have spoken to a few that fall into this category they try their best to shake the shackles of C.B radio but not many.
    As for achievements in life i did my bit for this country when the call came after that i studied hard to become an comms engineer i helped out in my local radio club teaching others to get their Novice ticket i supported my family in good and bad times no whinging just did the best my children were educated to university level and also i passed my AOCP written test and Morse at 17 years old the hard way not like you and others who wanted all on a silver platter wonder what you achieved in life ??

VK6NSB and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  12. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

NN6EE please explain, not getting it, my only achievement in life was to get my Amateur License.

13. VK2OZ

LINDSAY..No we are not wasting our time and brains because people read this and maybe just maybe will start to think about all these goings on here as for his Podcast i do not hold much creedence to it as comes from a self opinionated bigot a Johnny come lately to the hobby whose only contributions are false and baseless appealing to his kind.Lindsay we have to fight the fight or we may as well pack it in keep at it i will be there as well and as from yesterday so will a couple of my old timer ham friends.

VK6NO likes this.
  14. VK6NO

Oh no my friends I will continue until this person acts in a way that is of some benefit to our great hobby. I'm actually ashamed to see such things written by him in a way that degrades so many good people. I am also looking at the use of their club station VK6ARN being used by foundation and standard licence holders without us knowing if the regulations are being abused. At this point I do not know who holds the call but checks are being processed. Cheers VK6NO

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LEAVE IT UP TO AN "AUSSIE" TO READ EVERYTHING OUT OF CONTEXT!!!
    CHEERS MATE!!! Considering how Australia GOT IT'S START (A PENAL COLONY) IT REALLY DOESN'T SURPRISE US!!!
    :)

VK6FLAB likes this.