ad: ProAudio-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 87

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Feb 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been reading the comments and I totally agree with many but here is the problem here in AUSTRALIA. We do not have Mars/Cap etc so why would a Foundation licence holder advocate that we should be pursuing this subject in my country.
    Lets break it down to the facts. I too agree as new bands are made available it is possible to modify our radios as long as we stay inside the specifications of band plans and licence conditions as laid down. Most modifications are still done here to allow an amateur transmitter to operate on the two CB bands to talk to old buddies. Why buy CB's when a snip here or there gets it for nothing. Not a day goes by that illegal activity on repeaters or out of band transmissions are not heard and many companies and individuals are caught doing this.
    As I said in my previous post, is it right for someone to be operating with their modified radio in the hope they can bring down a passenger airliner? Remember your family or friends may be inside at the time it all goes wrong.
    As for comments about I have modified my radio to save lives, this is an old excuse that does not stand up to any scrutiny by the authorities. You will be congratulated on your efforts offcourse but this was not the reason you modified it for. Buy a satellite phone, commercial radio or just use the open bands to call mayday to obtain the flying doctor, police etc don't use your status as an amateur radio operator to flaunt the rules.
    Do we carry guns to kill a crocodile chewing off someone's leg? Do you carry a heart machine, oxygen etc to get that old heart beating again? No you don't so stop it with the lame excuses. Remember this subject was broadcast on a segment of the WIA your body that is supposed to be telling ACMA that we are all great honest people and to give us more, more, more and not to say it's time we pursued the right to do as we please.

2. VK2YES

VK2YES Ham Member QRZ Page

@ vk6no , so you don't want to save lives with your capabilities?
    My opinion : I would be very happy if I can save someones live with my skills, and btw I am full licenseced.
    Sorry for my typos because I am dislectic

3. VK6NO

Hi Marco, I have relied on my radios many times to get me and others out of trouble in the bush. The last two times I was on the Nullarbor plain when my vehicle became disabled and amateur radio operators rectified the problem from my standard setup. I carry HF VHF/UHF, UHF CB and HF CB. My car and van look like porcupines some trips. Instead of carrying 4 transmitters should I go snip, snip, snip and carry just two.
    Been through three massive cyclones in my time and my radios helped out very well without modifications.
    My argument lies in doing modifications for MARS/CAP frequencies etc that do not apply in Australia. I am all for modifications that would give me a better radio but to cut a radio just so I have transmit from zero to wherever has no value to me at all.
    Most times unless you're on a genuine emergency frequency no one is listening. Best gadget ever built is a distress beacon, push the button and someone is on the way in minutes.
    I'm like you Marco and I think everyone else reading this would do the same and that's always save a human regardless of the circumstances. Cheers

4. VK2YES

Probably I miss understand you in previous postings. My intension is not to transmit outside of band but if you need too, you do. As an example I don't use my radio on cb just to have fun with 100 watts on 27 mcs

VK6NO likes this.
  5. VK2YES

I think we miss understand us is this situation, I do appologize for this but my HF radio is my only lifesaver if I am in trouble in the bush. I don't rely on vhf or UHF for emergency trafic, thanks for you're understanding in this case. And I am looking forward to make a contact with you when I am portable.
    I love the bush, but you need to be prepared to survive it, cheers mate . de vk2yes / pd0i

VK6NO likes this.
  6. VK6NO

Never would I take offence at your comments Marco as you are a ham just like me and we both have freedom of speech and like you, I am really the "Bugger from the bush".
    I understand all the things that you experience when help is so far away etc. I now live in the city but from the time I arrived here I have suffered health wise with the ups and down of this hectic life.
    Yes I hope we chat on air one day to pass on to each other the things you have done, learnt etc and we can compare our experiences. Cheers from VK6NO.

7. VK2YES

I hope you recover soon. I am also struggling in the big city's and prefere bushlife, cheers marco

8. K2MIJ

K2MIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't exactly know how many were sold but the KENBAK-1 was first introduced for $750 (US) back in 1971 as the 1st personal computer...That was 46 years ago...Hope I was of some help ;-)

9. VK6NO

[Q

I thank you for that information on the computer. I immediately Googled it and was knocked off my feet seeing that and others that have been built. Not many made and if it's in the shack now be worth a fortune. I've learned something today and that is what it's all about. Cheers

UOTE="K2MIJ, post: 4142533, member: 581795"]Don't exactly know how many were sold but the KENBAK-1 was first introduced for $750 (US) back in 1971 as the 1st personal computer...That was 46 years ago...Hope I was of some help ;-)[/QUOTE]

10. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hay guys, why not join CAP, it loads of fun. I've been a member since I was 16 yrs old, (now over 70). I flew many search missions and participated in practice missions. You get to work with kids. I would mod all the radios for CAP, hf, uhf and vhf. We had 6.xxx mhz for hf, 148.xx mhz for vhf, and 460.xx (state police simplex), all legal.
    Most of the kids loved to fly and use radios. Each state was assigned a proword and a 2 or 3 number. We were Pico xxx. So go ahead and Join CAP (or MARS), and you will be legal. Most dealers will modify your radio if you have a CAP (MARS) license.

I'm new to the Chinese radios but I always thought the radios had to be blocked from CAP and Mars unless you had a license. I've never seen a Japanese radio that would go out of band without a mod.

KZ6TOD likes this.