ad: CQMM-1

Foundation exam passed at age 5 years and eleven months old

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G7LRR, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let them get to you...I took old school but its all good...welcome to our fraternity and I hope to catch you on the air or at Dayton...

When I took my Extra I had a VE tell me that I was "only a 5wpm" General...I said to him, "look again old man, its a 13wpm General, but pull out the 20wpm exam and I'll be glad to pass that for you if you want!"

He backed off and apologized...

Bob W2CYK
    RFinder - The Worldwide Repeater Directory

2. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

hey what's your son's call?

3. G4SKO

G4SKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Those power levels have the potential to cause havoc, an overdriven PA at the levels you have suggested could produce all manner of unwanted sprogs and harmonics not to mention splatter on the intended band of operation. I don't know about the test in the US but the old class 'A' test and probably the new test make great store of harmonic suppression and frequency stability, and not that far back in UK ham history 100watts was the limit. Just take a listen to some of the signals unleashed on the Cardboard Box band and it soon becomes apparent what an untrained operator is capable of. There's a lot to know, so all power (or not) to the novices and lets give them all the support we can but one step at a time please.

4. LA9XSA

LA9XSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations everyone. I hope they decide to progress in amateur radio and get good "Elmering".

As for the no-code haters, as far as I know it's actually easier for a child to learn morse code than it is for an OM like me.

5. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh ?

6. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a question. Just how much "radio" does a 6-year old understand? Or, is that not important? We have adult members of our Club who hold a Technician license ... but some of them have no clue of what radio is all about! It this good for ham radio? In my mind, they are "amateur radio license holders" and not "amateur radio operators." We have one guy who cannot even program his HT --- even with the manual in front of him!

7. LA9XSA

LA9XSA Ham Member QRZ Page

A beginners' license is just a starting point, showing that you know some rules and stuff to get you started. It's a license to start learning. It's not something I would look down on. Even us with full licensees - we learn something new every day; at least we should strive to.

8. M6XCB

M6XCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Investigation over exams at the Humber Fortress Club

:(Well guys and Girls ....there could be more to this than meets the eye! ... for those of you that already know the website www.hamradiodeals.co.uk, they have an excellent inside story and take on this issue..apparently there was an "investigation" over "irregularities" by the governing body ...tsk, tsk. The full story can be read here ....http://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32274&start=285&sid=4944532ca82f95747216aafe68ee7abf

You will have to register to read it ...but to be honest if you are Radio Ham (especially in the UK) then this site is the ONE to be a member of ! Not just for the for sale section, but for the advice and forum content ...See you there !

9. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the club used a "reader" because the child's age meant her reading skills had yet to reach the stage she could do it herself.
    The provision of a reader is allowed for people with disabilities...blindness, paralysis etc, whereby a reader reads the questions then marks the answers chosen due to the candidates disability rendering him/her unable to do it for themselves. You can make your own mind up whether or not it was ever intended used in this fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.