ad: portazero-1

Foundation exam passed at age 5 years and eleven months old

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G7LRR, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Whether the US or UK, there seems to be a rush to indoctrinate and/or trend by well meaning adults to get children to pass their respective tests. I don't know if this is an ego trip or an attempt at recognition for the trainers - Guinness perhaps.

Personally, I think its silly. What in the world would one talk about to a 5 year old? Barbie dolls? Easy bake ovens? Why not just let 5 years olds be 5 year olds and grow up with friends and interact with humans instead of radios. I bet in coming years/months, someone will attempt to indoctrinate a 4 year old.

Ham radio is for young adults and mature adults, not children or babies. Give it a break with the babies and get the 18-25 year olds interested.

K2WH

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Youngest US ham?

Five?

Chip W1YW

3. G4SKO

G4SKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I get your point of course and maybe 5 is a little early but I was interested in shortwave from the age of 11 (a child) I have nevertheless continued to have a lifelong interest in many aspects of this great hobby. It has also enabled me to forge a career in related industries. Maybe she has been indoctrinated as you say, maybe she will set aside her interest and resume at a later date, perhaps when she appreciates the technicalities more. Either way I wish her well and if she finds a similar joy to that enjoyed by myself and many, many others, then surely that is to be encouraged.

73,de.G4SKO

4. M0MFP

M0MFP Ham Member QRZ Page

age limit what o dont forget that and it shows the exam in not tough to easy

just shows the exams need to be harden up and the tech side needs to be a lot more deeper and the british need a good kicking in the tech area

5. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Good for you young lady....regardless how hard or easy the exam session was..glad you are in the ranks..hope to see more about you later as you progress onwards and upwards!

Congrats again

6. M0WAY

M0WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations to Kayleigh and the other's on passing your foundation exam,

Kayleigh also Happy Birthday.

7. MM0HLT

MM0HLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sarcasum,the lowest form of "wit"
    well done to this 5 year old, she may be a future engineer? and discover something of use to us all,
    let the next generation come through, and keep this WORLD WIDE hobby thriving,

And the Foundation license is nothing new, it's been around since 2002,

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

She must be an amazing 5 year old. As I understand it, the Foundation License requires completion of a classroom study course, followed by an exam. There is even a very simple 'Morse Code' recognition test, isn't there?

Unlike over here, the British beginners have fairly unlimited access to the HF bands, but limited to low power (10 watts).

When I started out in the hobby, I didn't do a lot of voice communication at first - it was all CW, and a bit later, RTTY. On those modes, my age wasn't a big issue, and contacts were usually very short, anyway. Over there, the young lady will be able to use digital modes if she desires. On this side of the pond, our beginners are limited to the VHF/UHF bands unless they want to learn Morse Code. While many do learn the code, many more do not, and we have a very high dropout rate among newcomers.

How is the dropout rate in the UK?

9. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's pretty neat to see Amateur Radio introduced to the youngest of us. A seed is planted, and with proper conditions, will flourish.
    Congratulations to Kayleigh Huntley, Steve Tobin, Steve Walsh, and Linda Nielsen on passing the Foundation Exam, and to Kevin Johnson who passed the Intermediate Exam.
    I hope to work all of you from my humble station in North Dakota.

Dave

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Dave,

LOTS of people hope to work YOU from your R-A-R-E state! :)

Chip W1YW

11. MI0LJM

MI0LJM Guest

hello,
    well done to the kid in question,but this should not be happening no kid should be passing foundation exam at 5-6years old says a lot for the exams in the uk................
    mi0ljm

12. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If this were to have happened in the U.S., I'm quite sure it would be the fault of the "Dumbed-Down, No-Code Techs" or something.

13. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Theres a great saying I learned from the Zed;

"Haters just gonna hate"

I think its a good thing that a nearly 6 year old can get started in this HOBBY. Its a HOBBY, get over yourselves guys.

14. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, no kidding!! I think it's great this young gal has the desire, as well as the drive and discipline to pass her exam. I hope one of these days when condx improve again I can make contact with her on the bands! A hearty congrats to you, Kayleigh. That's quite an accomplishment. And happy birthday. Vy 73...Joe

15. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing Tom. "Mikey, he likes it"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.