Found the problem.

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KD5KC, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KD5KC

KD5KC XML Subscriber

Good morning.

Several months ago I reported a problem in QRZ.com where I could not read E-mail addresses when I put my mouse pointer over them, and maps were not showing up in the DETAIL page. I was told is was not a QRZ.com problem. I believed that, and went away.

From that report, things began to get worse. I kept getting a pop-up message from my virus checker saying that there was a trojan attempting to access my system. It would kill it and delete it every time. But it kept happenning. At first it was only annoying, but it got worse. I just could never find this file, but the virus checker kept finding it for me whenever it showed up.

Last week I decided I needed to really dig into this problem. So instead of just allowing the virus checker to kill it I started trying to track it down. What I discovered was interesting. And - I found the problem.

For some time I had been running the Ham Radio Toolbar by N0HR. http://www.n0hr.com/Ham_Radio_Toolbar.htm The "trojan" tracked down to one of the RSS feeds going into his toolbar. It kept trying to place the trojan into my computer.

I first tried deleting all the RSS messages. Within a short while I got another virus warning.

Now, I had requested N0HR a few times to allow unwanted RSS feeds to be deleted by the users. Well, a week ago I took care of the problem. I uninstalled the whole toolbar. Guess what.

The Trojan warnings have not come back.
    The E-mail address again shows up when I mouse over.
    The maps again show up in the DETAIL page.

Problem solved. I will miss the solar information section of the tool bar, it was nice getting the SFI-A-K right on the toolbar. But it wasn't worth the other problems. And NO - I will not reinstall it to verify that it was the toolbar. I am convinced myself, and I won't break what doesn't need fixing.

Just thought I would share what I discovered.

Vy73 - Mike - KD9KC.
    El Paso, TX - DM61rt.
    W5-SOTA Association Manager.
    SOTA info: www.sota.org.uk.

-----Note from moderator-----
    First post http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?330727-E-mail-address-not-showing-on-pages
    ----------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  2. AK4MP

AK4MP SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER

SFI-A-K info is available on the QRZ.COM main page.

Click on the QRZ.COM logo in the upper left of and QRZ Page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.