Found in the Attic!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N8CPA, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our attic is not considered useable. It is just a place for air to circulate over insulation. The only person to be up there was our home inspector before we bought the place last summer. But, today, our future roofer stuck his head through the hatch to check out the underside of the sheeting. I was surprised when called down, "Is any of this up here yours?"

My wife asked, "What's up there?"

"A nice metal box fan and a bushel basket full of...electronics."

I said, "Hello!"

"Do you want it?"

"We didn't put it up there, but yes, we want to see it."

He handed the basket down to my wife. There were a few ancient Nintendo hand controls, 2 sets of headphones with 1/8" plugs, and a BC-210 scanner--no powercord, no antenna, just the scanner.

I haven't hooked it up to a power source yet, but I am a ham and I can innovate. I'll play around with it tomorrow and program some repeaters, if it works, a nice addition to my VHF shelf.

Yea, Bearcat!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

:) wow what a find.
    I haven't seen a BC-210 in a long time :)

3. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda like found money!

Ed

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

It probably crawled up there and starved to death.

Them Bearcats need a lot to eat.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The previous owners probably forgot it was there, or thought it was not worth the effort to move. (If only I had saved that original "Pong" game. The price for it now on ePay gives me apoplexy!)

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

SVD:

I have to take a look in both of my attics. I think I do have a "pong" game up there!

Glen, K9STH

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first glanced at this, I thought he said BC 610... not BC 210.

Had me going for a sec!

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

So did I...;);)

9. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Hmmm,

If he handed that one down in a basket, he's Superman!

Bill

10. N8CPA

I wish! I don't know if I have a table sturdy enough, though.

11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

All I got was a rotted metal box overflowing with multi-wafer rotary switches, old old lamp sockets, old old lamp switches, some very old thoriated welding sticks, a couple pinball relays, and lots of dust. Oh, and some broken very weird in-wall multi-function relays.

I didn't wait for someone else to find it. I went through every cubic inch of my house when I bought it. Oddly, though, it took me 8 years to find a jackknife that the original owner of the house left behind after stripping the wires for the lamp in the one attic. It was interesting to see how obvious what happened was. I found it after installing a loop antenna in the attic. I went to set down some tool I was carrying and found the knife there already. I used to work with the guy's grandson, and he thought it was great when I gave him the knife.

12. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

A 610 would be in the basement, not the attic.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

13. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

At least the BC-610 designers were nice enough to put a handle on each side of its cabinet! :)

Back in highschool, another kid and I tried to pick one up by its handles and move it. We got it a couple of inches off the floor before the handle on my side of the cabinet broke off and sent the transmitter crashing back to earth. Luckily, there weren't any toes underneath that behemoth at the time.

14. NW9R

NW9R Ham Member QRZ Page

When we bought our home here, I poked around in the attic and found a tupperware container that had a small amount of weed, a pipe and some photos of the former owners husband in various poses with other women, obviously some time back in let's say some compromising poses/activities.

Needless to say, thought hard about sending it them them, but didn't notice that his wife was in any of them. I burned the whole lot just to be sure the kids never found it. XYL and I had a good chuckle....

Some nite, it will come to him in his sleep and ......

OMG!

15. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Geez all I found was a couple dead birds and an old pair of underwear.

16. N8CPA

I've had to grudgingly give up climbing ladders on my own part. My knees are simply too unstable to risk the climb. And once i was up there, my stronger hand would be kept busy holding on and the weaker one wouldn't be much good anyway. And my wife has never gone aloft either. The home inspector advised against using the space because it might disturb the insuulation. He never mentioned any attic contents because at the time of the inspection we had not yet closed on the house, so the contents were none of our business, just strucural integrity. Also, the previous owner appeared too young to have been alive at the time those Nintendo controllers would have been useful. So, I doubt even he knew about the basket.

This morning I sorted through my primary junk box and found some spade terminals that mate with the DC input of the radio. After breakfast, maybe after I mow, I'll bash together a powercord, PowerPole one end, spade the other, and I'll see if it turns on.

Is Mallory still making 10L-123 batteries? I suspect I'll need to change it.

17. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This took me a minute. Initially, I said, "Wait a minute, those are only a few years o... um... *mumble, mumble*Carry the one... *mumble, mumble*

Oh crap... they ARE old... then I looked in the mirror haha

18. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

My uncle told us that he operated a BC-610 that was mounted in the back of a truck in WWII. It was used at the Battalion HQ in France and later Germany. According to him it was one of the most reliable transmitters they had. By the way, they had their own generator for the commo section.

19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

attic???? Watch out for SPIDERS!!! Especially Brown Recluses! Black Widows usually like to be closer to the ground level. Brown Widow spiders will do attics and roofs though. But Brown Recluses are the biggest danger!! Wear gloves and tight fitting clothing while up there. Use bright lights and kick the box a few times before you try and pick it up. Open it VERY CAREFULLY!!!! Open it up in the attic, as U don't want to bring any Spiders down into the living space!!!

I already checked my attic and there is NUTTIN up there. Too bad, was hoping to find a long lost SX-88!

20. N8CPA

Yeah, same here. i thought the most painful day in my life was when some hot young thing looked at me and said, "You remind me of my dad." Recently another hottie looked at me and said the same thing, but using the word, 'grandpa.'

Thanks, honey. That's just what every man my age wants to hear from a beautiful woman your age!

But that radio went into production before I even got licensed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.