Found a spool of solder

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N5PVL, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
  1. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I found a big spool of solder in one of my desks. The spool weighs around five pounds.

It is Kester solder, 63/37 alloy, rosin-five core, core 66, diameter .032"

What is something like that worth, these days?

I have been using another spool just like it throughout my adult life, it's about halfway used-up. I, on the other hand, passed the halfway point some while ago.

Now I'm wondering if I really need this extra spool. :rolleyes:

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We use quite a bit of solder at work, and it keeps getting more and more expensive. A 1lb roll from Mouser is about $46 and change now. I would hang onto it, as the lead-free stuff is going to be the norm pretty soon and you'll really hate working with it.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Prices seem to be all over the place on eBay completed auctions.
    It looks like 5 lbs might go from about $20 to $60 depending.
    I have a couple 1 pound spools and a 1/2 pound spool I have acquired through the years.
    I'll probably never come close to using them all up, but if I have 3 spools, I can always find ONE of them!!

4. G4SKO

G4SKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll bid you £5.00. the modern stuff is crappy.

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How does the outside look? If it is not shiny, it may not work well due to the oxidation present. I have some old rolls that flowed perfectly when new and shiny and now that they are old and dull they suck.

What you have when new was good stuff, though. It's a eutectic blend (low melt point) and Kester makes really good solder. New, 1 lb rolls go for about $21.50

http://www.all-spec.com/products/Kester/Soldering_and_Rework|Solder_and_Soldering_Chemicals|SOL-0C/KW4410.html

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the good stuff....

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack still sells real lead solder. I think it's made by Kester. Good stuff. In fact, solder is the best product RS has!!

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

What you could do is measure off eight feet lengths, wrap it round some card and sell it at a competitive price

9. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

There's lead in that stuff! Better call in a hazmat team with respirators and full bunny suits for proper disposal of the spool.

10. NM5TF

NM5TF Ham Member QRZ Page

or you could just send it to me...I have a HAZWOPER certification.....

11. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You should sell it and buy a new set of scales.

five pounds ?

Chances are the rosin is dried up.

12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there are places on the internet that advertise real Kester solder cheap -- it is either old, beat-up rolls or they won't have it in stock. The off-brand stuff is pretty crappy -- our boss is cheap and we have to deal with it every day. We probably go through 2-3 pounds a month and I dread every time he orders another batch.

13. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold it for the eventual black market.

14. KD8JEB

KD8JEB Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to see solder prices, go to fleabay and search for Nassau solder. Made for Western Electric.

15. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy a spool of 60/40 almost every time I am in radio shack, just in-case the whack jobs decide we don't need it.

16. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Lead based solder ( the kind that works best) is now considered hazardous by the Feds!
    The price has been driven up out of sight !
    Hide it until you need to solder something !
    Keep it under lock so when they break down your door they can ony steal your plumbing and wiring and air conditioning and you will still have that solder .
    I keep my REAL solder hidden in my (...redacted...)!
    @

17. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems every time I buy sold NOS , I end up coming across more cheap or free , just after paying $10
    a month ago at a ham fest for a 1# of that , then 3 weeks after that , I was given 3 , 1# for free .
    So theres the low point , I think I would not go higher that $15 a # , but I would hesitate at 5 # .
    I keep my stach sealed in plastic to help keep the oxidation at bay .

18. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

As was previously said, 63/37 is the good stuff but .031" is too big. Although it might work if your assembling or working on old boat-anchor tube gear. I wouldn't use anything that's over .020" diameter.

fp

19. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a lot of solder in my business - pay about $27 a pound to mouser, buy 5 to 7 pounds a year.
    If that roll of solder is "real old", there is the possibility that the flux may have dried out, rendering it not useable for anything other than fishing weights. Might want to test it out on something.
    I had about 20 1 lb rolls of solder that I had to turn into fishing weights because the flux had gone bad. They were from a surplus sale. Didn't cost much, but what a waste.

20. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you put me in your will for that roll of solder? You're getting kinda old, so you need to think ahead. God forbid, but if you were to get zapped by an errant packet, I would be able to get the solder. Bless your heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.