ad: Hamcrazy-1

Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, an example: Valerie, NV9L, is a contester. It is silly to imply that she was poorly trained for the tasks in Puerto Rico.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Val does quite well OTA in contests; Jerry WB9Z is a great station builder, role model and mentor. Bill K4XS was also on "The Force"; check out his 2017 CQWW SSB SOSB(A)20 score!

Radio-sport fundamentals are great for EMCOMM operators too, but not quite as useful as other skills are off-the-air behind the scenes. So those with contesting skills are probably more useful staying on-the-air, not attending meetings or producing publicity anecdotes.

It's alarming to hear or read that more then one field assigned Force op or indigenous KP4 reported the HQ NCS station K1M was apparently at times left unattended. Important calls were made to it that were unanswered. That doesn't happen in a competent contest operation.

{Unless its a raw rookie playing around with SO2R and not paying enough attention! :mad:}

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"The concept of "trained / certified amateur radio ( emergency) operators" is IMHO wrong and that is why the "force X mobilization " failed big time and should not be repeated in the future."

Apparently I did not get my point across.

I strongly feel that ANY amateur radio operator should be able to assist as necessary.
    Irregardless of perceived or required certification / experience etc.
    Relying on organized ( which PR mobilization was not ) and certified selected few is conceptually wrong.
    I am still talking about passing short, simple and small quantity of messages.

It has been done before and "documented".
    Here is a proof, Google translator MAY convince you.
    And here is the important part from the link.

Solidarita a charita. Bylo mně devět roků, když jsem poslouchal v rádiu hru podle filmu „Kdyby všichni chlapi světa“. Francouzský film byl o záchraně rybářské lodi „Lutéca“, jejíž posádka na moři u Norska večer těžce onemocní a hrozí jí smrt otravou botulinem, nedostane-li ráno před osmou hodinou sérum.

Kapitán volá krátkovlnnou amatérskou vysílačkou o pomoc. Hlášení zachytne amatér v severní Africe. SOS vysílané z Toga zachytí radioamatér v Paříži, jemuž se podaří získat sérum a poslat ho do Berlína. Zásluhou amerického vojáka a sovětského policejního důstojníka se lék dostane včas do Norska a je shozen do moře u lodi, vytáhne ho na palubu jediný zdravý – Arab Muhammad, co nejedl vepřiové maso, a vyléčí jím na poslední chvíli ostatní. Drama se šťastným koncem o solidaritě lidí různých národností, kteří zachrání deset neznámých námořníků, mě dojal. Ani mě v mé dětské naivnosti nenapadlo, jestli byli ti mořští vlci pojištění, a kdo to sérum za ně zaplatil…?

http://olser.cz/2710/kdyby-vsichni-chlapi-sveta-aneb-solidarita-co-chybi-dr-cvachum…/

I did not look for the movie, but it may be somewhere on the net.

73 Shirley

5. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect we are going to have to agree to disagree. Just because someone wishes to help at an organized level does not mean they automatically possess the required disciplines needed or required. I am not saying they cannot participate at a different level but having come from a public safety background, I have seen those with good intentions hinder and at times become a detriment/hazard to the public and those charged with a specific task during an event. I know you "feel" strongly on this issue but remember feelings have been known to lead people astray. Making reference to a movie as the basis of an argument does not put forth fact.

So you know... my posted comments are meant to stimulate thought and conversation as to how we can improve ourselves as a saleable commodity. If we do not, we shall become that story line in a movie.

Regards,
    John

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

" my posted comments are meant to stimulate thought and conversation as to how we can improve ourselves as a saleable commodity."

Totally agree.

Still not getting my view on which the book and movie was based on.
    None of the fictional participants in the book were emcom trained / certified and to my recollection no colored attire / vests were used. ( I think the movie was B/W ).

Also agree that in some past "emcom cases" the radio amateurs became liability / nuisance instead of an asset.
    During Ike such liability probably prompted ONE FEMA distribution point site manager to send the radio amateur home.
    That is called "management" and should have been SAME in case of "force X" if warranted.

From this discussion and particularly from lack of participations in such discussions elsewhere , from both ARRL and ARC , I am beginning to reinforce my initial believe that as organizations both ARRL and ARC should refrain from involving amateur radio in similar publicity stunts in future.

73 Shirley

7. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Any ARRL after-action report and lessons learned document will be bashed as "fake" and a "whitewash."

8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? It's part of the mission to promote amateur radio.

9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

*snort* You're getting bashed, and you're going to say, "Yes, they're right, I'm terrible and evil and useless, shut us down now, we're going to kill ourselves!!"???

10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

And if the ARRL had said anything about Jeremy's self-serving "account," they'd be tied up in lawsuits over it for years.