ad: elecraft

For newer CW ops....

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AE1P, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber

I don't usually link to other "competing" sites,
    But, I have to give Steve, congrats, for another great article...

http://www.eham.net/articles/29483

For the many that are self-elmering themselves,
    Steve has been a great help...
    I know I personally have benefited and have enjoyed
    them all...Thx..

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber

Tks fer the post. Enjoyed reading Steve's OP & the reply's. dit dit

3. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member

Yeah that is a good read. And while I was reading it had a contact with EH5MCB in Spain. :cool:

4. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member

Thanks, there's lots of good stuff in there to remember as I'm learning.

5. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber

Thanks for sharing. I'm now getting back into CW and building my proficiency.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

Yes...that was a great article......and I am a bit mystified at some of the flack he got on it. I guess you can't please everyone.

Eric

7. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber

I've noticed that also Eric,and on several occasions.
    Funny thing tho, never seen an article written to help newer hams,
    by any of his detractors, yup, not a single article, ....imagine that.
    We call those people here in New England, haters...
    Yup, they be just hating on Steve,...too bad,
    as he has done a lot for new hams and this hobby.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber

... There's always that "10%"... The only thing that comes to mind is "envy"...

9. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member

IIRC he got flak for saying that 100% perfect copy is not the goal - rather understanding is the goal. I dont write stuff down and I'm only a newbie on CW -I just tend to write rst, name, qth, time, just the essentials - but then again I have less than 100 contacts and only 3 or 4 were rag chews (mind you they were highly satisfying!).

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member

I'm not.

There's always someone who believes their opinions & points of view trumpet yours. And those induhviduals will often use forums like these, and those on eHam, and other sites, to make sure EVERYONE knows how important THEIR opinions are.

(I don't know about you, but I certainly know that I don't know everything, and that I could be mistaken, from time to time. It's been known to happen on rare occasions... :cool: )

I'm still amused by the one induhvidual who insisted that his opinion on the (then) recent passage of PA 88 (state's version of PRB-1) was right, and my source's was wrong. My source was my attorney, who is a long licensed & active ham; said induhvidual is not an attorney nor does he even live in the state... but he was right & my source was wrong. All righty then...

11. W0DV

W0DV XML Subscriber

It was a good read, I gleaned some good information from it.
    I took the 5wpm exam just before it was discontinued. and I am glad I did. My motivation for learning CW is for an appreciation of the mode from a historical point of view. I didn't purchase my first key until 2 years ago, and making my first contact was a lot of fun. I'm a slow CW operator, I haven't spent a lot of time building speed. Almost all of my contacts are rag-chew contacts. I made one contest contact once with an op in SA, and I felt like a kid with a BB gun at a cannon range. I'm not in any hurry to build speed but It is definitely on my list of things to accomplish :)

Thanks to WB2WIK for the great advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.