ad: ELADIT-1

Food INC.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W5INC, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

PBS is running a TV show about how your food is produced right here in the USA. Large corporations control huge amounts of the food chain and it is very interesting to see some of the products and how they are produced.

Corn and the corn by-products are used in 1 form or another in about 90% of every item in a supermarket. Corn has been kept @ artificially low prices with subsidies. 1 of the more interesting facts is when cattle are taken to the huge feedlots and fed corn to fatten them up before being slaughtered. The corn produces E-coli in the cows stomachs. To prevent human contamination of E-coli 1 of the largest hamburger produces in the US (70% of the patties made) actually washes the beef in industrial strength ammonia in a mechanized ballet that is hard to believe. Numerous factories around the country can be controlled from this 1 control room. The food produces have taken this approach from Walmart. Walmart controls each stores A/C, lights, freezers and other infrastructure variables from their control room in Ark.

The chicken producers who have developed chickens that reach maturity in 45 days instead of 93 days. The cost to the chicken is the slow development of it's internal organs when compared to it's body mass. These chickens can only walk 2 to 3 steps then flop to the ground. The chicken's lungs and heart can't supply enough oxygen and blood to let the chicken walk around naturally.

The Monsanto company that was granted rights to soy bean seeds(Supreme Court decision) that Monsanto developed to be resistant to RoundUp weed killer. The Monsanto seeds are planted then the fields are sprayed with Roundup to prevent weeds that hamper the soybeans growth. Thousands of tons of Roundup are used in this endeavor every year in the US. In 1984 when Monsanto was first granted rights to the seeds they developed 14% of soybeans were grown from their seeds. Today's % is in the 98% range. Monsanto can claim a farmers crops if the farmers neighbor is using Monsanto's seeds and the pollen from Monsanto seeds gets wind carried to neighboring fields.

This program sheds light onto a slice of American industry that is kept in the dark for various reasons. It also explains what vegetable laws are and how the food producing giants use these little known laws to keep the status quo. Great program from PBS and should be a must see for everyone who eats food produced here in the USA.
  2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I caught part of that.

The part I saw was the one about the farmer that processed his chickens outside.

The government ordered him to stop, instead he challenged them with laboratory testing.

His chickens had a number of 133 (ppm??)

Chickens processed in an FDA approved indoor facility had a rating of 3600, even after chemicals (bleach, ammonia) were used for mitigation.

I don't know where they found this particular farmer, but he was every bit as articulate and knowledgeable as any college professor.
  3. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

"Monsanto can claim a farmers crops if the farmers neighbor is using Monsanto's seeds and the pollen from Monsanto seeds gets wind carried to neighboring fields."

I consider this to be a crime against humanity and nature.
  5. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

A small family farm with hand-milked dairy cows is actually pretty darn rare today!
  6. K4KRO

K4KRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry! There will soon be another multi-trillion dollar bureaucracy formed to do something about it. The only problem will be that you can be fined or imprisoned for growing your own tomatoes.:eek:
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

My advice is for everyone to start growing their own food. We always have a garden in the warm months, can't beat fresh veggies.
  8. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Obesity, Diabetes... from fat and sugar spikes. Diabetes is endemic in our society:

source: CDC

Growing one's food is pretty darn healthy, and seed stock is relatively cheap. (Don't give me Monsanto excuses! Go to your local farm store and buy a bag of seeds.)
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see...if you attack BIG FOOD, that's ok...just don't try to attack BIG GOVERNMENT you could have your post deleted.
  10. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

HOW you attack big government is the $64 million dollar issue!

Here's the difference between an insightful post on the issue and one that's not:

See the difference :D
  11. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This could all be handled very well

by a government oversight committe.

It would work kind of like this example here:

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle
    of a desert. Congress said, "someone may steal from it at night.." So
    they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job..
    Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without
    instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two
    people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing
    The tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and
    hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So
    They created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer,
    Then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these
    people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an
    Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one
    Year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost."

So they laid off the night watchman.:)
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the PBS show talk about the number of lives saved by the improvements in crop growing by BIG FOOD, or was it all BIG FOOD ....bad??

I don't watch PBS for reasons this forum will not allow me to elaborate on, I would be interested in knowing when they do a story on the number of deaths caused by Rachel Carson after her book resulted in the banning of DDT.
  13. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's some good quotes from the show:

They did in fact admit that that factory farming has increased food yields. One statistic they noted was that an average acreage of corn produced something like a dozen bushels decades ago. However, today it can produce nearly 200 bushels thanks to research, breeding, technology, etc.

From what I got from the show is they recognize the enormous benefit "Food Inc" has had on food availability and cheapness. Still however, they lay out (in excruciating detail I might add) how this efficiency isn't all great and shiny, like E. Coli outbreaks because of contaminated meat, the endemic of Diabetes because of the intrusion of sugar (mostly High Fructose Corn Syrup) in almost every kind of food, etc. And they point out, that it all comes back to the consumer. It is consumers that are buying the sugary, fatty foods these companies make. There is no one party to blame, govn't oversight, corporations and consumers are all to blame for some part.

They're laying out ways Food Inc can be made better.
  14. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heritage seeds are a little harder to come by however they are available.
    I'm allergic to BT corn and BT tomatoes. Soy was one of the very first crops to be genetically modified. Keep in mind that crossbreeding is not the same as genetic manipulation. You have tomatoes out there that have been infused with cockroach genes in order to give them longer shelf life.

While I am not a hamster what do you think this is doing to the human population.
  15. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Long term studies, from what I understand are almost nil. Although there is some research done to ensure it's not an obvious disaster, there's still a LOT of unknowns. Certainly more unknowns than knowns :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  16. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually a very balanced show that gave big food companies credit with producing vast amounts of food and their innovations in the farming sector.

The show also pointed out the pitfalls to the large corporations approach to the food sector. When feeding cattle corn their manure must be disposed out of the feedlots. Cattle are herbivores and when eating grasses that are supposed to be in their diet, the waste generated actually becomes fertilizer and seed stock for the grasses to grow back. The cattle don't bulk up quickly as if they were fed corn, but the E-coli problem isn't generated by feeding the cattle corn meal.

The amount of anti-biotics and chemicals rendered into chicken meal is also at a very high rate. 1 chicken farmer who was brave enough to speak out against the industrial chicken farming techniques has become allergic to all anti-biotics. Since her interview with the producer of the show, her chicken farming contract has been nullified with Tyson chicken. The reason why Tyson cancelled her contract was because she would not update her farming equipment up to Tyson's standards. Tyson's farming standards can change at any time according to the Tyson contract that the woman singed.

The cost of building 1 chicken house is around $250,000.00 to 280,000.00 dollars apiece. The chicken farmers are so upside down in their contract with the large corporations that the farmer is forced economically to tow the company line. If not, his contract is cancelled too. The complete debt piled up by the farmer is his alone to bear. The chicken farmer only owns 1 thing in the whole process. That is the chicken sh*t, which is his problem to dispose of according to EPA guidelines. The average chicken farmer makes $18,000.00 according to the PBS show.

The Monsanto company has a team of 75 people, mostly retired police officers and military who actually conduct surveillance on farmers to see if the farmers are stealing Monsanto's seeds. A 1 800 phone number is also available so farmers can tell Monsanto if any other farmer is stealing Monsanto's seeds. Monsanto pays a bounty for such information. Farmers have tried to go to court to get Monsanto and this dubious trade practice stopped. Every time the farmer pockets are nowhere deep enough to take on the corporate giant. 1 soybean farmer spent over $400,000.00 in legal fees and was told to go to court it would cost another 1 million dollars. The justice system seems to be broken in this matter also. What is really scary do a Google search on the vegetable laws in this country. You just thought you have freedom of speech in this country, big food says no you don't. Oprah got a taste of the power of the food industry. Oprah spent over 1.5 million of her own money defending herself against big food. How many farmers in this country have the same war chest as Oprah did to fight big food.

Upton Sinclair in the early part of the 20th century wrote a book about the American food industry and it's trade practices. (The Jungle) The food companies have refined their methods since Upton's book, but they still use the economic leverage they command to keep farmers in line and tow the company line. The American public are like sheeple in this matter. Not caring what the cost is to your own health, environment and the rest of God's creatures to have a $1.00 menu @ McDonalds
  17. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In that post you have touched on what amounts to tens of thousands of pages of material. I have been a long time listener of Derry Brownfield who is an Ag reporter going way back. Thee is a racket regarding the chicken industry which Tyson is the lead producer in. Brownfield had done whole shows on Tyson and their control over poultry in this country.

Don't get me started on NAIS which is designed to put the small producers out of business.
  18. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

All big food is bad when the end result is control of all food sources. And that is being done intentionally.

GM food has not been adequately tested, especially in the long run. Not to mention the destruction of normal plants by cross pollination.

It is a crime against humanity that all this is going unchecked.
  19. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

I rented Food,INC from the video store. It was a good documentary on the current state of affairs.
  20. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

"The justice system seems to be broken in this matter also."

justice is bought and sold in America today

if you can meet their price you can have justice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.