ad: rfparts

Flexible mobile antenna mount?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI7KRY, Sep 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7KRY

KI7KRY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Btech UV 5001 (2 m, 7o cm ) installed in my truck. Where i work, there is covered parking so my antenna smacks against the roof of the parking garage. I have found that i use the radio less because I need to unscrew the antenna from the mag mount. i am wondering if there is a mount option that pivots so i can just flip the antenna up or down as needed, or do i need to look into a different mounting location.

Thanks

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen a motorized antenna mount that electrically lowers the whip to a horizontal position but I have no idea who makes or sells it.

Bob

3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Diamond and others make a fold over 2m/440 mobile antenna. Google it and you will see what is available

4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is your problem right there. If you used a fixed body mount and a Larsen 2/70 NMO or even just a 1/4 wave stainless steel whip which bends then you'd not need to unscrew the antenna.

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is either Diamond or Comet that makes the K4000 motorized mount. If you buy one, two things to keep in mind:
    1. Failure to use the up/down switch is not the problem of the maker.
    2. If you fail to keep the 'friction point' tightened up, you can 'loose track' of your up & down position. This is the place where the antenna angle can be adjusted- sort of like a 'geared' surface on two parts about the size of golf-balls. This should be tightened about once a month.
    Also, the individual parts of the K4000 may be difficult to obtain. The life expectancy surrounds item #1 above.
    Installation is pretty simple- you will need 12VDC at minimal current for the up/down controller, so your coax (tiny) and 12VDC wires need to enter the passenger compartment. Get the longer coax if you want the antenna near the tailgate. They also sell antenna elements with specific wavelengths for 'minimal groundplane' mounts such as the K4000. The 7500 seems to be popular.

6. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Put a quick disconnect mount on the antenna.

Matt

7. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone buys the highest gain VHF antenna they can afford, and they're wasting their money! If you want the best mobile performance, then use a standard NMO 1/4 wave mounted on the roof of the vehicle (see the article). There is one issue to be cognoscente of, with any roof-mounted antenna; Modern garage doors are almost always "overhead" style. As the door is raised and lowered, it is possible for the whip to be "captured" between the hinged panels with predictable results.

http://www.k0bg.com/images/pdf/mobile_vhf_ant.pdf

KD2IAT and K5BBC like this.