Flex Radio Fan failures (new series)

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K0KB, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What fan model and supplier is failing? I’d like to know to avoid putting them in anything I build or repair.

2. K0KB

K0KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No new fans - ultimately the situation is the same. They feel it is my environment... even though the radios are 200 miles apart and have never been in the same room together. They also think I'm too incompetent to change the fans myself without further damaging the radios and voiding the warranty. The only resolution they offer is for me to ship the radios to them in the warranty period at my expense.

3. K0KB

@NE1U I have also been building high-performance computers for 25 years. I choose not to build them anymore, just buy them. But I always wind up digging around in the cases at some point. Environment definitely plays a role in fan failures and dust accumulation. My ham shack is a building separate from my house and is spray foamed walls ceiling and floor. There is almost no dust in the entire shack. This thing will be spotless inside.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

On many of those fan motors, You can remove the sticker and add a drop of "sewing machine oil" in the bearing hole, Then put the sticker back on. Some have a rubber cover.

I have done that many times, And normally get a few more years out of them.

Nothing to lose but the time to try it.

upload_2019-9-22_9-35-56.png

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't actually looked?!?!?

My office/ham shack is in my remodeled attic. No curtains, no rugs, foam insulation, A/C, computers about 2 1/2 feet off floor and the computers rarely off. They still accumulate dust and need to be blown out ~once a year. Although filters on the fans are helpful and easier to change than blow out difficult to reach fans or heatsink towers. Water cooling made the biggest change to getting things clean.

The place is not hermetically sealed. Some air exchange is required for human occupancy if for no other reason than OF syndrome.:rolleyes:

6. K0KB

No, I haven’t looked. Busy with actual important things in life. Flex is weird about warranty so I wasn’t going to open it. I can see inside the case through the vent holes and it is clean in the radio.

NE1U likes this.