ad: hrd-2

fl2100b

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W2PPJ, Nov 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

W2PPJ: With the switch S4 switched to Operate, and no wires connected to the RY terminal, please measure the voltage from the RY terminal to ground. It should be a negative voltage or zero.

2. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

W2PPJ: Another question. Have you tried to transmit into the amp to verify that it's just the relay activating but that all else functions correctly?

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys all crack me up. As soon as you ASSUME, well you know the rest. I have been fixing amps since the 70’s and have taught classes on electrical and electronic troubleshooting and I never assume that something that is even remotely possible can’t be the problem! I’ve encountered some very weird problems that turned out to be the last thing I thought it would ever be. I can write a book on weird repairs I’ve done. Sometimes when I tell some of them I get rolling eyes. Like a good detective would tell you, everyone is a suspect until checked out and cleared.

KK4RSV likes this.
  4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

PPJ, the guy in Courtland,NY is coming to meet me next Wednesday, if you want me to fix your amp bring it to him by then.

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one!

KK4RSV likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here...
    WTH??? o_O

7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Firstly . . . I worked for Yaesu when these amps were a current model, so worked on lots of them, and also ever since (on a part-time basis)

Secondly, it's very hard to advise someone REMOTELY, especially when they make it clear they have very little knowledge.

But I certainly never assume anything !

However, you have to start somewhere . . . and as the guy said the Amp suddenly developed this fault, I have presumed that nobody has modified the wiring.

I also believe in keeping suggested checks simple . . . to help diagnose the problem . . . and suggest checking the most likely things first. (based on my experience of what usually fails on a partcular piece of equipment, as well as my general knowledge and experience)

The check I asked him to do early on (measuring the resistance between the RY terminal and chassis, while switching the Operate switch) proves there isn't a short inside the switch:
    That test confirms that if it's NOT C208 or C209 shorted, then the wiring must have a short to chassis.

This is potentially a very simple fault, which I'm sure if I had the Amp in front of me I would have fixed within ten minutes!

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. W2PPJ

W2PPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

im sorry guys for leading everybody in wrong directions im trying hard to give accurate info. this amp is 100% stock and all ive done so far is clip 209 and resolder two wires i broke of the alc board. i will report back later and will produce answers as best i can. i wiil snap some photos of my resolders on the alc board. there was a blue and white wire i wasnt 100% sure of on the alc board.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I supplied the schematic here (and on my website). Does the actual circuit match the schematic?

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

PPJ....It's finalized. The guy from Courtland is leaving to meet me next Wednesday. Is it worth about $50.00 of my time to fix this amp for you? If so, see if you can get it down to him by then. However, before you do, have you replaced that electrolytic cap 2uf? It could be leaky.

WA7PRC likes this.