fitch8920@gmail.com sent me unsolicited email after I communicated on Swapmeet

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5RPX, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K2CD likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That may be in the works as well - @AA7BQ may chime in on this

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.

I fail to see how that will stop E-Mail from coming to your inbox.

I must be missing something.

5. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It will for the most part prevent the Nigerians from hijacking callsigns and posting items for sale under the stolen call sign. As far as unsolicited emails I say that falls under "self inflicted" wounds. Rule #2 Never answer an unsolicited email. Rule # 1 see bellow.

6. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great suggestion, sane and logical, and without it, the rest of the "getting Verified" system really isn't being utilized to its full potential. With the changes being made, such as no longer requiring a call sign in the photo, unverified scammers can cherry pick the best images and use them elsewhere or via email at some future time. It will come back to bite us on the buttocks eventually. I won't hold my breath waiting for Verified to read happening, however.

7. KP4SX

There's various types of scams that occur so one fix can't address them all. If some putz in Nigeria sees a guy with a WTB ad for a Rockcrusher 5000 all he has to do is contact him via email using a fake, unverified identity typically lifted from a QRZ user with no info on his bio page. This happens often.
    Ok, you must be a registered user to see email addresses. BUDDYBOY1234 may be a registered user and can see them. I think this verified bizness should extend to seeing email addresses at all. Well, he could get the email address from elsewhere but frankly he shouldn't be able to see the ads (potential victims) at all.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, but it is also a balancing act. The compromised account problem will essentially be history come July 1 and the scammers will switch to unsolicited emails. The simplest way to eliminate that type of scam is to prohibit replies to for sale ads by anyone except the seller. As NZ4X pointed out, it's a self inflicted wound but we still try to protect those who can't/won't take care of themselves. Prohibiting replies is something QRZ has done before when commentary got out of hand and hopefully will consider doing again to thwart the unsolicited email scams. That'll take care of most of the scamming except for WTB ads, and those folks get religion once they've been scammed. If replies are prohibited, we also don't care if a scammer is able to see the ads or emails; it won't do him any good. As Fred said, they'll then go elsewhere.

NZ4X likes this.
  9. KP4SX

Maybe there's cases of scammers replying online to WTB ads but most of that seems to happen via the back door. And again, compromised accounts aren't that big a thing in the whole scenario from what I'm reading.
    Sure, all these things occur and they have to be addressed with different techniques.
    WTB ads are difficult to address. There's no way to prevent the scammers from doing something via backdoor contact other than not letting them see the WTB posting in the first place.
    Hams are a subset of the general population. There's a certain number that are simply patsies and they have no idea how they set themselves to be scammed.
    Unfortunately the measures that have to be taken to protect them from themselves will result in a whole lot less activity in the buy/sell forum. That tipping point has to be kept in mind when implementing new rules. Come July 1 there's going to be a whole lot of carping about "why can't I post an ad? I've been a QRZ paid subscriber for 20 years".
    Fred says they will go elsewhere. In some cases yes but as long as they can read the ads they will be with us.

AJ4GQ and WR2E like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Or not let anyone but verified members see the email addresses on their intended marks bio page.

K8MH likes this.