ad: NI4L-2

First mobile Jeep (jk) Antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K2IRE, Aug 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the antenna was moved up to the cowl, the flexy 5/8 wave wire antenna would often be in contact with the top of the windshield frame while in motion.

N6QIC likes this.
  2. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I will necro post to this thread and fill in a few details about the comet 2x4. I have 2 of these fender mounted on 2 dodge cummins pickups. 1st, it is a very wide banded antenna, both vhf and uhf. 2nd, as far as I know, all of the 2x4's are a fold over. Took me a while to figure out the folding method, being to gentle. Grab the lowest rod section and lift vigorously. I have never had this antenna fold by its self. 3rd, it is very rigid, it will stand straight up at 80mph. And has that spiral ring in the middle, just waiting to grab or be grabbed by a heavy dense stationary object. 4th, there is a spring that replaces the lower section. Never used it so, not sure just how flexible it is.
    Having said all that, it does work fairly well on the fender. But, .I am thinking of an mno mount in the roof. Probably use a cheap tram for daily drive and install the 2x4 for road trips, camper towing ect.

3. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used this for my Jeep CB antenna: https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_401_07.htm

I use my Jeep off road for hauling logs out of the woods, rock crawling and trail riding. My antenna mount gets smacked around hard. The first antenna mount I had did not have a spring mount on it. It completely sheared off the threaded grounding bolt within six months. The one I linked above has lasted seven years without a problem. I checked the SWR when I first installed it, but haven't checked it again since.

6. KE5NCP

KE5NCP Ham Member QRZ Page

With my 2014 Rubi I made a mount that attaches to the spare tire carrier out of 1" iron, routed the coax through the tailgate and used a Comet ssb2 for 2/70, works great and swr is minimal on my 8800 after some tuning.