ad: CQMM-1

First 10 Days with a New Flex-6400

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6OIX, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KLONDIKEMIKE

KLONDIKEMIKE QRZ Member

I don't believe I saw the word "review" anywhere in that first post, therefore I wasn't expecting one. Yes, he is bragging and I am slightly annoyed ... and jealous I don't have the same toys to play with.

W1KRI, KD5BVX, KU4GW/SK2023 and 2 others like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great post. You convey your excitement like a kid on Xmas morning. You highlighted features of the Flex radios, I wasn't aware of.

-Please describe your monitor setup.

-Perhaps you could post some videos of the station in operation? 73, bill

3. WV2C

WV2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JHR did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Your review of his review is pointless!

KA2FIR, W1KRI, W0AMT and 3 others like this.
  4. NA6AF

NA6AF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice posting. Liked the photos. Enjoy your new rig. 73

5. KM6VXX

KM6VXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve: Love your set up. I have "heard" first hand the difference between your old rig and the new rig. One of the very audio I have heard in a long time.
    Chuck KM6VXX.

6. N6OIX

N6OIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the nice replies. Yes, I am excited a bit but I have not seen a lot of user experiences using the FLEX RADIO when I was looking to upgrade. I just wanted to share my 2 cents. This is not a review as I am not at the level to make a review on this radio. I just hope this small information might help someone who is looking for information on FLEX RADIO. That's All.

For the one's who asked about the monitors.

My PC is connected to a Ultra Wide Samsung 49" as the main screen from Costco. It is about 2 years old. The Top Screen is a TCL 50 inch 4k TV connected to PC on HDMI I got last Christmas from my daughter.

With the 49 lower and the 50 above it matches up nicely. They are both mounted on the wall

For the person who asked why I picked the 6400. COST. Simple, I had a Icom 7300 which I sold on 40m net on Sunday and had a few extra hand held's not being used so I sold them. This got me close to the cost of the 6400. If I had more funds to spend I think I would have picked the 6600 but I am very happy with the 6400.

If anyone has any other question I would be more than happy to help.

Thank you
    Steve

N2AMM, W4QBQ, K2NCC and 3 others like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Or to BMW:D

N2AMM, HK1A, KR3DX and 5 others like this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Or Apple.

KR3DX, K0WJ, W1TRY and 1 other person like this.
  9. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose I did!

I apologize if I offended anyone or sounded overly critical. In my defense, this is supposed to be the front page NEWS FORUM, and boasting his new rig works as it should is not particularly newsworthy in a general interest, all points bulletin sense. Mentioning he lives in a gated community strikes me as completely unnecessary and irrelevant to how well his first few contacts went down. While a great many hams are thrilled with their new radios, they are not compelled to post it as front page news, because it is not newsworthy or of general interest to the broader ham community they way FCC Rule changes, solar weather events, Band Plan changes, and ARRL efforts to lift antenna restrictions.

So, I apologize if I offended anyone. And yet, there are too many videos on the front page which do not really belong there.

And, if I am mistaken ... then every ham who is pleased with his new radio should post a missive extolling its virtues on the front page, replete with photos illustrating how good it looks in his shack. After all, there is never enough good NEWS going around. Let's all post about our newest radio on the front page.

K8JHR

KA2FIR, KD5BVX, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I would "guess" mentioning he lived in a gated community was a diplomatic way of saying he has a restrictive HOA on the amount of antenna he can have. "Gated community" is just easier to type. With that said I agree with you. The whole "turning my cameras to face UPS was annoying. In other news I'm just glad I have more common sense than money.

KR3DX likes this.
  11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I guess I'm STILL in the early part of the 21th century and only have the latest "ELECRAFT K-LINE" & the "ICOM 7610/SPE 1.5K-FA COMBO"!!! But I might add that the well built "FLEX SYSTEMS/HF" are really NEET, but we're not really "IT PROFICIENT" with trying to tackle any (FLEX-SYSTEM) anytime soon!!! :)

12. WD8KND

WD8KND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on your new rig. I bought a 6300 4 1/2 years ago at Dayton. It has been the best radio I've ever owned, and I've owned some top of the line rigs. I wasn't sure I'd like a rig without knobs, but now I'd never go back . I do have a Icom 7300 as a backup, and even though I like that little rig, it's not comparable. Enjoy you new toy.

K2NCC and N6OIX like this.
  13. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great Did not offend me. More like a preview then a full blowned review . Good on you I'm buying it

W4QBQ, K2NCC and N6OIX like this.
  14. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What are you using for an antenna? Was all the audio improvement due to the Flex alone? Did you already have the KPA500 and KAT500?

15. N6OIX

N6OIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have very simple 20m and 40m single band Bazooka's semi hidden up 30 feet. Yes I had the AMP / Tuner for a few weeks with my old IC7300. For the audio I think it was both the new radio and mic

AB8MA likes this.