Field Day Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6LTU, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N6LTU

N6LTU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I won't be able to be involved, due to family obligations with Field Day this year and I'm not a member of any clubs. I will have a few hours though to get on the air. My question is can I work some stations and do I have to be battery or off the grid. Or should I just listen to the stations and get out of the way until field day is over.

N6LTU

P.S. I'll have my new rig by then and of course will be itching to use it :D

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely.

If there's just one of you, then the exchange you give is "1D", and you're not supposed to work other "D" stations.

On the other hand, if you have any type of battery or generator power, then I would encourage you to use that, which would make you "1E", meaning you can work anyone.

I'll also be in the same boat, since I won't have an opportunity to be in a "field" this year. So I'll just plug the rig into a battery and operate as Class E for a few hours.

3. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely you can work them. You don't have to be on alternate power or at a temporary station, though you get more points for those. Your class for the exchange would be "1D" -- one transmitter, commercial power -- or 1A for one transmitter on a generator, and so on.

(W0IS beat me to it as I was typing)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't need to be a member to visit Field Day sites. West Valley ARA is having theirs in Los Altos Hills - http://www.wvara.org/fd/FD-10-MapandFact-Sheet.pdf The San Jose RACES group will be at Almaden Lake Park.
    The ARRL website can help you find others. Both of those mentioned will have a GOTA station, a great place for newbies to learn how to do it. Both of those are open to the public, which includes you. Bring a copy of your license with you, and drop in for a short time to watch if you don't have time to get on the air!

It's perfectly OK to get on from home for Field Day. You will only be allowed to work portables and mobiles, however. Here's a link to the rules : http://www.arrl.org/files/file/2010%2520Rules.pdf From home you will be in Class D, and can only work stations in class A, B,C,E, and F - no other 'D' stations. Assuming you have only one transmitter, you will send an exchange of '1D Santa Clara Valley' or '1D SCV' on CW and digital.

Some of the best Field Days I can remember were operating mobile from out there. The salt marshes out near the Bay seem to provide the best propagation for a mobile. I always tried to get the ham clubs to do Field Day from there, but for some reason, they didn't want to spend a weekend out in the stink.

5. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Make use of all the time available to you on the air. If you're just getting started on HF, you can gat a great start toward a Worked All States (WAS) award. It's quite common for ststions operating the whole weekend to achieve the whole thing (all 50 states) in the one contest. It's almost easy when one concentrates on that goal instead of maximum contacts/points.

Since you won't have the time to score a big points total, perhaps you can utilize WAS as a motivator. See how many states you can contact in your limited time on the air. But whatever your motivation don't be intimated by the chaos. Everyone wants to contact everyone else -- even the newbys. Just jump in there and have a ball!

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Per the 2010 Field Day rules...

• Class A: Club/Non-club portable (3 or more operators)
    • Class B: One or two person portable
    • Class C: Mobile
    • Class D: Home station using commercial power (cannot receive points for working other Class D stations)
    • Class E: Home station using emergency power.

Except for Class D, everyone works everyone. The number ahead of the letter is the number of simultaneously operating transmitters.
    The last two FDs in which I participated, I operated Class 2E (two transmitters) by turning off the float charger for my 320 Ah "battery pack". You would be in either Class D (commercial power) or Class E (emergency power).

Bryan WA7PRC
    http://www.geocities.com/bswadener/fd2008/

7. N5MDT

N5MDT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are not interested in turning in your log and recording the points then work anyone you want. Nothing prevents a non participant from working a field day station.

Field day (in my perception at least) is nothing but one big ARRL contest and largely mis-directed.

8. WS2L

WS2L Guest

A few years ago when I broke my ankle I could not make it out to FD so I operated 1D from home. You do not have to go through the trouble to operate battery power if you do not want to, there is a class for just about every operating scenario.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

its your license, use it when you want to......

exactly,..... after all, any contest operator won't turn down a point or two.:D

10. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. It's pretty fun, even from home. My goal every year is work a sweep of Sections. Haven't done it yet. And it gets worse after I dupe out the D's.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.