Field Day 2016, and HF Activity on the Bands

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by KM6CKF, Jun 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KM6CKF

KM6CKF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a great time at Field Day yesterday. Just wanted to say how helpful and welcoming the Humboldt County Amatuer Radio Club has been. I went out yesterday discouraged that I hadn't been able to make any HF contacts yet and worried that my vintage TS430 was in need of repair. They invited me to bring it into our mobile club van and hook it up to all the perfect power supplies and antennas. They sat with my radio and checked it all out for me. It's fine! Took it home last night and made my first contacts! Looking to get a decent power supply so that I don't just hear hash.

One of the handful of women in the club suggested that we start a YL group, since there's now about 5 of us in the club now.

Learning a lot about how our club would respond to emergencies and since we are on the north coast of California, we know an earthquake can be anytime.

Any stories from other YLs Field Days?

Linda
    KM6CKF

KC9ZHV and N6QIC like this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Linda,
    I am happy to hear that you had fun on field day.
    Starting a YL group in your club sounds like a great idea.

Check out this group YLISSB, You have a general license so se if you can hear there nets. Visitors are always welcome.

YLISSB -YL International Single Sideband.
    http://www.ylsystem.org/

The ISSB System operates on 14.332 MHz, 365 days of the year. We have the Sunrise Portion commencing at 1300 UTC or 1200 UTC during Daylight saving time and continue with 1st period(2 hrs), 2nd period(2hrs), 3rd period(2), 1st hr of the Moonbeam and the 2nd hr Moonbeam period. Even if you tune in and hear nothing, give a call and most likely someone will answer. We have a 40 meter session on Mon thru Fri evenings on 7.267.5 MHz commencing at 0000 UTC or 2300 UTC during Daylight saving time. Also there is an 80 meter session on Mondays commencing at 0030 UTC or 2330 during Daylight saving time on 3.833 MHz. We have a 15 meter session on Mon on 21.373 MHz commencing at 1500 UTC or 1400 UTC during Daylight saving time.

And Linda, the "SFI" Solar Flux Index is at a low of "77" today. When HF was good on 10 meters "SFI" was at 200 and above. If you are making contacts, you are doing really well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think i could reach any of those nets from here..

4. N6QIC

Give it a try, you will always hear someone, there are stations that will relay to net Control.

Here are some details, when you turn the HF on don't just spin the dial around go to 28.380 or 28.800 if you are a General or above. listen at net time, you will probably hear someone. Most prefer 28.380 it has the most traffic when the band is open and the Technician Class License has SSB privileges on 10 meters from 28.300 to 28.500

Net Control Operators for the Ten-Ten International Net
    Monday 28.380 WB9WZI Alan 76209
    Monday 28.800 WB6OJB Doc 70675
    Tuesday 28.380 K7CWS Ray 50288
    Tuesday 28.800 KE6OIO Ann 68997
    Wednesday 28.380 WM2W Marilyn 76400
    Wednesday 28.800 N6ELK *Louise 36654
    Thursday 28.380 N6OPR Bob 45715
    Thursday 28.800 KQ4PK Robert 63201
    Friday 28.380 N0TW Terry 36547
    Friday 28.800 K6DNR Bob 75386
    Saturday 28.380 KC8IM Dan 31959
    Saturday 28.800 Open
    Sunday NEVER ON SUNDAY

Alternate Net Controllers
    N4WDT David 76237

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    W5MQC likes this.
  5. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know kinda scared that would involve hf lol!! I know i am silly that way I only made 20 contacts during field day because i was so afraid of stepping on some one HF is so challenging some times you don't hear net control but only the stations around it.. Thats what generally makes me scared to check into nets that i can't hear the control operators..

6. N6QIC

Just listen allot and you will be OK, If you hear them ask for checkins just give your call once and se what happens.
    You will probably be surprised who hears you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    KC9ZHV likes this.
  7. W5MQC

W5MQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had such a great time at Field Day. I learned so much. I didn't make a lot of contacts, but I made some for our GOTA station. Best thing yet, I had my Son-In Law and oldest grandson (age 8) with me. I think they are both going to take the test to get their license.

N6QIC likes this.
  8. N6QIC

Hello Michelle,
    Happy to hear that you and the boys had a fun day. When I moved from Milwaukee back to California I gave my realistic Short wave receiver to the two boys that lived next door to me. They always enjoyed listening.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    W5MQC likes this.
  9. N6QIC

Checked into the Triple "H" net last night on 7.190 and made contacts with Hawaii, Oregon, South Carolina, and Florida. Could not hear Guiana but he heard me.

KC9ZHV likes this.
  10. KC2IAY

KC2IAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a great time at Field Day this year. Stayed up until 4am, at that point I was having some real trouble picking out the callsigns and called it quits. Propagation wasn't great, but the weather was perfect. It was really nice to see how my skills and radio confidence has increased from the previous field day.

KC9ZHV, W5MQC and N6QIC like this.