Feedback from R-Pi Foundation on availability of Zero and A+

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KK4NSF, Apr 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

After much waiting for the Zero and A+ to return to the marketplace with no good results, I wrote a very polite letter to the R-Pi foundation's Public Relations Director and asked her when these two computer boards might be back on the market. I explained to her that one of the problems is that folks simply don't know if the boards are actually back in production, or have really been discontinued.... and that the lack of any sort of feedback or announcement from them is causing some unhappiness among their customers. Then I simply asked the question: Are the Pi Zero and A+ in production and might be available sometime in the near future, or are they discontinued? I cc'd Adafruit too, just in case they knew anything about the status of the boards.

That was almost a week ago, and as of this morning I have not received any sort of reply from either the R-Pi foundation, or Adafruit. Nothing, nada, zip..... not even a "thank you we are working on the problem" or even a robo-responder. It is very disappointing. Apparently nobody knows when or if the Zero/A+ will once again be available, OR they know but aren't going to tell us. Either way, it's not a good situation.

So.... I'm starting to look into alternative boards like the C.H.I.P or the Orange Pi. Maybe they'll be viable, maybe not. I let you know what I find.

2. KK4NSF

OK! We DO have some info to share about availability of the Pi Zero. An Eagle-Eyed Ham named KU7PDX spotted a note in the Official Blog:

Raspberry Pi Zero production is restarting in Wales next Monday after a hiatus to allow us to focus on Raspberry Pi 3 (a million units built and counting). We have placed 250ku of new orders, and are aiming to produce at least 50ku/month for the rest of this year. Distribution will continue to be via Pimoroni, Pi Hut, Adafruit and Micro Center for now.

To thank you for your patience, we’ve taken advantage of the hiatus to add a (much requested) new feature. I’ll leave you all to guess what it is (it’s not WiFi).

(This was posted on April 14, but was buried inside and article about a GameBoy clone.... so I missed it. )

This is good news! Hopefully they will be arriving at Adafruit in the very near future! Thanks KU7PDX for pointing it out.

KC3BZJ and K7FLE like this.
  3. KC3BZJ

KC3BZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I received my Pi zero from Adafruit maybe a week or so ago? I had signed up on their website to be notified when they were in stock. When I got the email I ordered one immediately and 3-4 days later it was here. Of course, you could only order one....

4. KK4NSF

wow...... I signed up back in November and haven't heard from them yet. Bummer

5. KK4NSF

update: I FINALLY got a notice saying that the Zero was available at Adafruit. BUT by the time I got the e-mail, and was able to go to buy one, they had all been sold out. Bummer! So... I'm giving up on the Zero. It's fairly obvious that they aren't being made in large enough numbers to make them a viable product in the marketplace. I think I'll stick with the cheap embedded computer boards that are now available.

6. K7FLE

K7FLE Ham Member QRZ Page

They are ramping up production (still). Since they are a loss leader and only available in small quantities they sell out really fast. I have a couple of them sitting in my pile, but they aren't worth fussing with until the IoT Hat begins to ship.

7. KK4NSF

OK Pi fans.... both Zros AND A+'s are now back in stock at Adafruit. The Zeros are in short supply and you can only get one.... but they are available. Finally...

8. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the shortage was over. I went to Micro Center about a week ago to get an Arduino Uno 3 on sale, and they were selling the Pi Zero at the checkout counter ($5, limit 1). Of course I bought one.

Ted, KX4OM

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK4NSF

I just got mine a few days ago, and I've already put it to good use as a keyer / code reader for my MFJ 92XX system. It still has some tweaking yet to be done.... but it seems to function just fine.