ad: elecraft

February SKCC W.E.S.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K8JD, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Weekend Sprint Fun
    Finished WES early this month when my legal pad (8.5 X 11 inch) logsheet was full at 56 QSOs.
    My hand was falling asleep after pounding the bug for 2 hours Saturday night on 80 and 160M, and Sunday morning for 2 hours on 40 and 20M, too ! :eek:
    Fun Event, worked 31 different SPCs, including one in Europe, with my low hanging wire antennas and 95 W output !

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    KE4OH, N4NYK and W5BIB like this.
  2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I just got my ā€œCā€. SKCC is pretty awesome in my book.

W7UUU and KE4OH like this.
  3. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I fell significantly below K8JD's log entries in the WES event. Time was a problem this weekend.

There is always next month!

I end up having so much fun with the SKCC events that I am beginning to think that working them could as far as I need to advance. I am slowly working at getting up to QRQ, but if nothing, that work makes a SKCC event a breeze to participate in.

I am starting to see this like baseball. There is a lot of fun to be had playing in a softball league. Not all of us care to play in the senior circuit hardball leagues.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    KE4OH likes this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, me too. I only was able to log a couple of hours of airtime because of other commitments. Still logged 23 contacts on 40 and 80. Lots of new numbers for me.

The RTTY contest made 7.055 (+/-) useless, but 7.110 was pretty good. I used my old TS-520 for about half of my contacts. I usually don't use that rig on CW, but it was fun to have to work a little harder than with my more "modern" rigs.

5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some months, I really spend a lot of time on WES. This month, I went pretty light. Still got 41 QSOs in just a few hours. Got France and Cuba plus several Canadians.

I plan to hit it hard in March. We'll see if my plans pan out.

I really like the monthly SKS. Lots of action packed into 2 short hours. And usually there is no RTTY contest or the like going on at the same time!

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

In the first few WES weekends I spent a lot of time in the event, got a certificate for participating in the FIRST WES and in the 2nd one got 2nd place score !
    I have some ragchew QSOs running up to 30 WPM but in SKCC QSOs it is usually 13 or less WPM.
    My Best copuying speed hit 40 WPM but that was when I was in my late teens , about 50 years ago :D

7. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I joined SKCC 3 years ago, it was more of a whimsical thought that maybe I could be part of something which tied to the very root foundation of amateur radio, in fact, radio period. Went for over a year without especially logging contacts, forgot my number, etc.
    Last two years I've been moderately active, and made a few Sprints, K3Y's, WES events. If you are willing to actually form your Morse characters and are willing to listen to others do the same, it's a fantastic place to spend your time. There are slow ops, medium speed ops, some high speed ops, good fists, bad fists, medium fists, and to my thinking ALL help me to become more proficient at my first radio love, CW. WES is a wonderful place to spend as much time or as little as you are allowed by schedules to just contest, ragchew, try for world records, or just pick up a few numbers. There are sked sites for internet lovers, free logging programs, a bunch of nice ops, and what more could you want??? My only regret is that I didn't get involved earlier, because at the first, I simply didn't consider all that was there for taking. Many thanks to those who took time and trouble to try and copy my CW when I was learning the 'left' bug and the 'right' one, and those who continue to do so.
    It's a free club, and I'm a non-legal, non-paid advocate of the group. Your mileage may vary.
    Jim

KE4OH and KF9VV like this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been WES'n much the past year or so while the shack was torn down for extensive remodeling (structural... dang termites 'bout ate the whole building!)

Anyway... Jim, I think you said you were using a vertical bug our last qso? Is that a left handed one?

I've got a left, middle, and right but but they're all right-handed.

I think best WES I got was like 10th or something.

Only had about 10 qso this month's.

9. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Howdy. My QRZ pic pretty much shows how I operate. Due to arthur or neuropathy, my hands cramp easily. Learned to use both hands with a bug. Started left handed with a right handed Original, then went left handed with a Vizkey right handed vertical bug. Am I backwards?? A while back I wondered whether the brain would allow cross over to the right hand so I bought a left handed Blue Racer and started playing with it right handed. The Vizkey is set around 17-18 wpm, the racer about 22 wpm (stock weights, no stabilizer). When one hand tires, I shift if I think the op can handle the speed difference. When I'm going slower, I plug in my VB SK pump or the Blade at keyboard level. If I mentioned the Vizkey, it was sent with my left hand, higher speed will be with the Racer and right hand. I do remember the qso, and I was playing at the time. Sent using both hands. Dad was a leftie, think I remember him training me to write with my right. Think that may be why I'm a little different on technique.

In any case, it's been the freedom I feel with SKCC, that allows me to get on the air, knowing my code is less than perfect. It was a freedom I felt during our QSO that allowed me to play a little and have some fun alternating hands. You must have great head copy!!! Again, thanks guys (and gals). 73 jim

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I could never do anything with my left hand except hit it with a hammer. o_O

Dunno about the head copy! I can head copy just fine, but in ten seconds I've totally forgotten what was sent so I tend to make more elaborate 'notes' than others probably do!

At slow speed I HAVE to write down almost everything because I'm not hearing the words as words. (say less than 10wpm).

It was a fun qso, one that I remember pretty well! Hope to catch ya again soon Jim! 73 ZUT!