ad: elecraft

Fears Sweden's new driving regs may hit amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps the ARRL was whispering in his ear

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding legislative action, don't assume malice when stupidity will suffice.

KI7MJU, KR3DX, N4GST and 6 others like this.
  3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure about a planet, but we are in a country that has widespread paranoia. Obviously not everyone is affected, but the "If you see something, say something" mentality has gotten completely out of hand. Take a look at this one: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ht-delay-terrorism-equation-american-airlines

I can see a ham being stopped on "suspicion", especially if he or she is informally profiled. The "land of the brave" used to be something else.

KB0OJN and KK5R like this.
  4. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

And that was the fault of all the amateurs in your state. When NH was doing the same, I and two other hams (one the section manager) went to the committee hearing regarding the law and had it changed to INCLUDE two way radios as an exemption. If we had not, the law read if you were holding an electronic device in your hand on the roadway, you were in violation of the law. They wanted to cover GPS, Cell Phones, iPods, etc.

If you remain complacent, you must accept the consequences.

WU8Y, KR3DX, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  5. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

This country has more problems than you can shake a stick at..It is time to leave this country and find one that makes sense..

6. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck!

K2NEL, KK5R and K3XR like this.
  7. DH2ID

DH2ID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

German traffic laws will forbid using wired microphones after Juli 2020.
    My ID-5100 and FTM-100 are both equipped with bluetooth and using a Jabra
    bluetooth device is no problem at all.
    Another problem will be for us in the Red Cross (and Police, Firefighters and THW
    the Federal Agency for Technical Relief)...
    All our vehicles are equipped with wired microphones!
    I hope there will be exemptions - or the taxpayer will get a huge bill...

8. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes, which one would that be? Cuba, Venezuela or China among your first choices, perhaps?

N3RMC, N9PBD and K3XR like this.
  9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

There are better options: https://www.investopedia.com/retirement/best-countries-to-retire/
    We know that no place is perfect, Jeff, and you give up a lot by leaving, but at least in the short term people at some stages of life (students and retirees, for example) may find it a reasonable action. There are no hard figures, but something upwards of an estimated 9 million U.S. citizens are expatriates. I've worked quite a few on DX.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    KK5R likes this.
  10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

So, an antenna is a magnet for police officers to pull people over? What about auto radio antennas? Not the ones embedded in the window glass but the little wires and stubbies on the rear of cars... Are they not antennas? But the police would probably say, "They are installed on the car when you bought them. The ones you install are the ones we are focused on." Baloney. They are just looking for an excuse to pull people over. I'm also betting the stops are entered on their activity quota reports.

Reminds me of when I went to a state park and went up into the trees and strung a 40M wire between trees about seven feet high. It didn't take a ranger 15 minutes to get in my face and say I was not allowed to do that ... so I left.

Just because you wear a uniform complete with a badge does not mean you have very high intelligence or common sense. Also, they have to learn that they are supposed to enforce the law, not interpret it — especially impotant where the law says nothing about it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You obviously missed the sarcasm implied in my earlier post---or intended to deflect it by omitting the "Cuba, Venezuela or China..." part in my quote.
    Our country may have a lot of problems but it still makes sense to stand up for it to me.;)

KK5R likes this.
  12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange that many CBers love to be called Hams by other CBers and, especially, the general public. Couple this with the number of CBers who "upgrade" to ham radio and I too wonder what that Senator had deep in his mind, if anything...

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still trying to find a country that "makes sense." As long as there are people in a country, there's gonna be a wide range of opinion and activities. Personal freedom can only go so far, though, and then it begins to affect others.

14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a whale of a lot more people tring to get into this country than trying to get out of it. Focusing on one or two aspects of a country is short-changing the country's overall worth. Taking this into account, it all depends on what is important and to what extent as applies to each person.

15. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Following regulation in Germany:
    StVO §23 (1a) = do not use cellphone when driving if you have to take the microphon in your hand BUT
    StVO §52 (4) = Radio equipment for Radioamateurs, Police, Rescue, Fire Brigade etc. may use their hand microphones fortheron until 01 July 2020.
    I heard, that some radio amateurs are working to find a technical solution, no further details available.

Remark: StVO (=Straßenverkehrsordnung) is the german abbreviation for that regulation concerning public traffic.

WU8Y likes this.