ad: dxeng

FCC To Reinstate Morse Code Requirement!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KC9VFO, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Technician Class licensees will not be required to take a Morse Code test, nor will a test be required for new applicants. “We discussed it,” said Dasher, “but decided that since most Techs can’t even figure out how to program their HTs, requiring them to learn Morse Code seemed like cruel and unusual punishment."

Oh Snap

4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

And today is?

5. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

OH BOY !!!!

Another APRIL FOOLS JOKE THREAD !!!!!!!

Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! !

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

The day after yesterday and before tomorrow.

Thot everyone knew that.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure?

8. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A 7 year old classic.

Coincidentally, I was reminded of Morse just this morning. I saw a movie on Youtube. A grade D cold war spy film from 1950, "The Flying Saucer." It showed three radiograms, one from the US Army Alaskan Signal Corps, the other two from Western Union. All used printed "=" to break up the bodies of the messages, in the format:
    Addressee =
    Address =
    Mesage content =
    Signature.

Some of us here know that symbol as -...-

To add: I looked at the film again. Actually there were only two messages, both Western Union. The third was really a sign with directions to the Alaska Communications System, various offices one of which one was Signal Corps USA. That's what happens when you watch a movie on one screen while loading software on another, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  9. KC8HQS

KC8HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

The link isn't working for me...

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This Just In...

...in addition to restoring the Morse proficiency requirement, we now understand the FCC under leadership of Commissioner Alfred E. Neuman will be revising the testing methods to eliminate the Volunteer Examiner groups and replace them with mobile testing vans.

To add to the challenge, the vans will not stop moving to pick up or drop off applicants, but will slow down to about 15 miles per hour to let the fastest runners jump on and off.

"We believe this unique testing system will result in much healthier amateur radio operators, overall," Neuman commented. "We won't have a hobby filled with old, overweight guys who can't run worth a darn."

11. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok you got me. Had high hopes. :(

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

That's 99.999% of the ham population!

14. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

What ... me worry?

15. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think his name should have been Alfred E. Newham.

16. NI3O

NI3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I was totally shocked at the prospect of reinstating the Morse Code requirement. Talk about old school! 'Dit' 'Dah' .... What about something new, progressive, like totally the bomb, like using 'uh' and 'duh' instead....?

17. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh... now you've done it! ;)

18. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The site must have taken the article down already..:( Well this what it read...maybe the FCC changed their minds already!

"Washington, D.C. – April 1, 2014 – Today, the Federal Communications Commission (Commission or FCC) approved Report and Order 14-987af which reinstates the Morse Code test for General Class and Amateur Extra Class licensees. “It was a big mistake eliminating the Morse Code test,” admits Dotty Dasher, the FCC’s director of examinations. “We now realize that being able to send and receive Morse Code is an essential skill for radio amateurs. As they say, it really does get through when other modes can’t.”

Not only will new applicants have to take the test, but General Class licensees who have never passed a code test will have one year to pass a 5-wpm code test. Similarly, Amateur Extra class licensees that never passed a code test will have one year to pass a 13-wpm test. Those amateurs that fail to pass the test will face revocation of their operating privileges. Materials for administering the examinations will be distributed to Volunteer Examiner Coordinators by the end of April, so that they can begin the testing on May 1, 2014.
    “This isn’t going to be one of those silly multiple-choice type tests,” noted Dasher. “We’re going to be sending five-character random code groups, just like we did in the old days. And, applicants will have to prove that they can send, too, using a poorly adjusted straight key.”
    Technician Class licensees will not be required to take a Morse Code test, nor will a test be required for new applicants. “We discussed it,” said Dasher, “but decided that since most Techs can’t even figure out how to program their HTs, requiring them to learn Morse Code seemed like cruel and unusual punishment.”
    When asked what other actions we might see from the FCC, Dasher hinted that in the future applicants taking the written exam may be required to draw circuit diagrams, such as Colpitts oscillators and diode ring mixers, once again. “We’re beginning to think that if an applicant passes an amateur radio license exam it should mean that he or she actually knows something,” she said.
    For further information, contact James X. Shorts, Assistant Liaison to the Deputy Chief of Public Relations for the FCC at (202) 555-1212 or jim.shorts@fcc.gov. For more news and information about the FCC, please visit www.fcc.gov."

19. KK4TGV

KK4TGV Ham Member QRZ Page

TODAY IS THE DAY AFTER YESTERDAY!

de KK4TGV

20. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep dreaming...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.