ad: MyersEng-1

FCC Seeks Comment On Spectrum Policy Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Same old gas you have been passing for 10 years. Your contentions are off topic, irrelevant to the discussion, and a dead. But I did find this lady who shares your views....

smart.jpg

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's be clear: Nobody WANTS our frequencies. The idea that we need the ARRL to save us is bogus. This "crisis" is nothing but palavar to get our minds off the sticky wicket the League is in with the by-laws fiasco.

NK2U likes this.
  4. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KF0G likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly not the ones below 10m. Other users are bailing from HF as fast as they can, and most are long gone. It wouldn't surprise me to see WWV go off the air before long. They keep removing (or trying to) forecast data from their broadcasts. I can totally see WWVB being the only surviving transmitter at the Fort Collins site 5y or 10y time.

With a very few exceptions, HF radio in the telecom world is considered about as useful as a sailboat for shipping cargo internationally.
    It's a good thing, too, because I don't see much evidence that the current leadership are interested in doing so.

NK2U, KF0G and KY5U like this.
  6. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't the Russians still using numbers stations, ??

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said, there are a few exceptions. I haven't heard any Russian numbers stations, but several in Spanish.

KF0G likes this.
  8. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the biggest threat is to the 23cm and 33cm bands, and possibly 70cm. The HF spectrum has lost many users over the past few decades, we should push for the expansion of the 30M, 17M, and 12M bands.

K6VGQ, NK2U and K6CLS like this.
  9. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with this as well as expansion of the 80 meter band both high and low, expansion of 15 meters, expansion of 20 meters higher and lower. There needs to be enforcement though on operators who may agree or not agree with a group of operators so with their expensive equipment they interfere with others. Example 3.822, 3.840, 7.200, 14.300 and I am sure there are others. People play music over the air, and make all types of sounds in an effort to interfere with another operator (or group of operators) all in violation of part 97 rules. In many cases operators not identifying properly according to the rules. In a lot of cases profanity happens and there is currently no enforcement that we can see on this issue. So what makes anyone think that there will be any enforcement in other spectrums? Yes you hear of enforcement actions from time to time, but this is a major and growing problem. I do ALOT of listening in probably much more than talking and a good portion of the consensus is that the FCC does not really care about these issues so they keep on growing.

10. K6VGQ

K6VGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where does an old dinosaur begin to reply? The hobby that diverted me from 1950s gangs, and launched my great work career has morphed into something I hardly recognize when surfing the HF bands, like 3 yrs ago, I could hardly wait to introduce my visiting (from MI) grandson, 8, and granddaughter, 6, to ham radio. They quickly became bored and left the room just before the ham we were listning to dropped the F-bomb! Yesterday, 1-19-18, on 7.255 some guy offered to suck ur .......for $5, and then a woman with a recognizable dialect came on offering to sell 'p....' to the guys! I switched down frequency to another round-table, and they used four letter conversational slang like there was no FCC monitoring.....oh, there isn't. A couple years ago on 2m I overheard guys expressing the joy of raping women and listening to them cry! The local ham club says they and the FCC are aware of these guys, but no one cares anymore! God save us! It's now a hobby where 11 and 8 year old girls can get an Extra Class ticket, ( featured in QST) and adults with them can't even hook up their own equipment. A year ago I offered the entire station and tons of DIY parts and high end HP test gear totally worth $12,000 used, for $4,000, $80,000 new, and had zero interest. I hear several guys offering wisdom from their glory days as CBrs! A couple years ago on 20 m, a ham said we're just a bunch of appliance operators, and the other ham actually invited him for a fight, and gave his address with directions! My final point; Our bands are already shared: can they get any worse? Oc course the ultimate goal is to sell more sophisticated, complicated, higher priced gear to hams. I find myself shifting to CW for my remaining years. I only hang on because I need the mental technical stimulation. Good luck to all of you who that stay with it! Mike

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    KA2FIR and K3OXL like this.
  11. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Good post, very good. I would file an action with the FCC but then does that make me look like a bad guy? I even have their call signs their locations and what not because like I said I do alot more listening than anything else. When I was a youngster growing up I had a shortwave radio and used to listen in a lot then on phone. This is when the hobby was much more regulated. Amateur used to talk about the things they were building.

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike,

I am sympathetic. More then a half century ago my teenager ham group pushed the envelope of tolerance with the local OT'ers by discussing "taboo" subjects OTA, but as you describe, today's raunchiness has gone waaaay off scale.

However, I do not attribute this breakdown of values as an issue ONLY in amateur radio. It's has become a dysfunction of general society, particularly in the USA. Unfortunately all too apparent now even in highly professional work places.

My YL partner is a doctoral practitioner in a clinical setting at a prestigious teaching hospital. As could be imagined, a very stressful environment just from the nature of the work. But her biggest complaint is about how her colleagues, at this point mostly, but not always, a younger generation, although smart, extremely well educated in their fields, feel its totally OK to carry on at work as if they are at a nightclub or on a social network.

Nothing is off limits. Few boundaries of intimacy. Attempts to instill professionalism laughed off. Protests are rebutted with classic mobbing tactics.

Some days it takes a long time for me to console and talk her down from being so upset about it. The employer authorities look the other way saying "we don't want to stifle the fun of being on the job" WTF? Apparently they are oblivious to distractions, inefficiencies, and potential safety liabilities this behavior breeds, or just lazy and don't care, retirement is coming for them soon. But who will be the next leaders?

Her roots are from DL-land, where she was born and worked for over 10 years in another more blue-collar career (air cargo), but a culture where being considerate and polite especially to colleagues, is always the first line of business. This has been quite a shock for her to adjust into, to the point where she thinks about giving it all up. I hope not, it would be such a waste of talent.

Meanwhile, on the radio I just spin the big knob and look for OM's of better character like you to QSO!

IMO they are still in the vast majority.

73, John, WØPV

KA2FIR and KR3DX like this.
  13. AA6XE

AA6XE Ham Member QRZ Page

Because Non-Profits are still a business that answers only to its Board of Directors and Shareholders (if there are any). The Non-profit designation is a Tax Status. By law nonprofits can turn up to a 3% profit and still maintain their tax status

14. AA0WX

AA0WX Ham Member QRZ Page

Drop N3GQ a note or email and ask him what are the ideas behind it. He may be able to tell.

15. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more. Etiquette and respect for others has broken down in all of society, not just ham radio. I haven't been in Germany for almost 20 years, but it was a much more polite and civilized society than the USA, so I can understand your YL's angst. There are people (some are hams) with whom I no longer attend social functions, because they feel that they have the "right" to curse in public, even in the presence of children. The childish, selfish behavior on the ham bands is a reflection of society in general.

KA2FIR likes this.