FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure wish QST and ARRL would go paperless ... the magazine has become so thin due to printing and mailing cost that is hardly worth reading - all the good stuff has been removed. Maybe going digital like the FCC is proposing for license renewal will he an improvement in efficiency and allow for better content.

2. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

No need for a license they are gimmies and very few UNDERSTANDS the R&R as written.

K3XR likes this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All you fellows who are so madly in love with gadgets, computers, and progress progress progress, remember your posts when you change address, upgrade or renew with FCC on line, and there's some kind of glitch as there always is eventually, and then you are on the phone to FCC "customer service" or whatever they call it, but wait, you have to deal with the automated phone menu robot, and then pee away your time listening to music while you are on hold, that's when I want you to think about how you could have just filled out a form and put it in the mail in all of 15 minutes and been done with it.

I have the minimal number of modern electronic garbage needed to get by, only because I have to have this junk if I want to buy radio parts etc. but I'd happily go back to doing everything with paper and USPS if the world magically reverted to the year 1975. You will find that your shiny new doo dads come at a price: precious time spent dealing with complications, glitches and crap outs and when your remaining years dwindle, you will come to resent spending part of your free time dealing with phone menus, and explaining to someone who reads to you from a script, what your problem is.

Oh, and then there's the way all these modern gadgets are set up to vacuum your wallet every month--the days of buying something and paying for it one time and then using it for the next 30 years seem to be long gone, along with retirement plans, since young folks blow their money on gadgets instead of saving.

K4XJ, KN4SKF and N9LYA like this.
  4. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i like that little FCC callsign card i carry in my wallet so when Mr. Police Man/Woman pulls me over for talking on my cell phone i can show them its Amateur Radio & my license to operate. LOL!!!

times are changing - sometimes for the better, hmm........ my opinion only folks!

KI7RPM and N9LYA like this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets Party like it's 1999

6. W6LDX

W6LDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

even the ARRL does it all on line so that you can print out you coveted license. We will be very screwed when the power goes out,
    Just think of all of the very cool online things that are waiting for us. Driver License, Pilots Licenses, dog license, auto insurance, the list goes on and on.

7. N1VHY

N1VHY Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't they already do this? Last time I renewed, I had to print out mine myself...?

K4XJ likes this.
  8. N6UBO

N6UBO Ham Member QRZ Page

You "can" do it on line, but you can still do it snail mail the Old School way if you prefer.

My only comment is that there are still some older folk who don't use computers. Granted it's not many, but we tend to have some older folk in our hobby. As long as there's a way to accommodate the ones without computers I see no harm in pushing it that way.

Being a VE I have to wonder if that system going to go paperless at some time and how that would work.

Man, a PAPERLESS government agency! Who'da thunk it?! ;-}

9. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

"OLD FARTS?!?" I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!! LOLOLOL:):):)

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what he's saying. You can file via mail with the League. Just do a search on "License Renewals" on the ARRL website.