ad: wmr-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2JNR

N2JNR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it that difficult to give people the option to charge them for a hard copy if they request one? I would pay a few dollars if it was on the old paper stock that has more of an official feel than what's generated now. As it is, the cut along this line text is on the inside of the official copy (on right side of license).

K4XJ, KB2SUJ and WQ4G like this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people don't have computers and don't want one. There are also people that do not have internet service. Not because they don't want it or cant afford it. Because they are so far off the grid that there is no internet service (yet).

Actually, I know people, here in Florida, who have just recently (within the last two years) been up graded from dial up to Broad Band service. Could you imagine trying to use dial up now days? It wasn't because they didn't want Broad Band - it was because it was not available to them.

Yes, there are services that will perform licensing filings for you. Have you checked their prices? Some of them seem a little steep on the price for the amount of effort involved. Especially if you are using a computer to do the filings.

Dan

W7GST and K4XJ like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost. ;)

W7GST, W4RAV, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost.

5. KI5ELV

KI5ELV Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree that most companies are encouraging customers to go paperless to save money on mailing out all those bills every month, it is optional. There is also a direct cost to the company to purchase paper, ink, envelopes, postage, etc to physically mail out bills.
    In the case of license renewals, the cost is totally on the licensee. The FCC does not mail out notices that your license is about to expire. Their cost is simply the salary of one employee to sit down, enter the data (normally just the callsign) into the computer and hit enter. That person could take less than 1 hour per workday to do that. Then they are free to do other things. It is not a cost savings measure for the FCC. They aren’t going to eliminate any positions by forcing online filing.

AA4MB, KB2SUJ and K3XR like this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what you are saying is as a paying member of ARRL, they will renew your license at no cost?

K4XJ, N1SPX and WA5VGO like this.
  9. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I printed mine at home and asked the FCC to send a printed one. Exactly the same quality paper. So what's the big deal?

10. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy to do everything online if possible. I only need to print the license for when I travel to other countries, or to prove I have one when guest-operating somewhere.