ad: MyersEng-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Lesser Antilles

2. N2CST

N2CST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they can free up people to track down the bandits on 7.200 :)

3. KF4HAY

KF4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right and I hear some people and know some that can't even write a letter, ( because of computers ) we are slowly being dumbed down and also losing the roots and foundations of our once great society....

KD9FEK likes this.
  4. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

In keyboarding class, circa ~2002, most of our practice texts consisted of personal and business letters. Suffice it to say I had enough exposure to the form to learn how it's done. Since that time, I have written a handful of personal letters and precisely zero business letters. Most modern businesses will probably be annoyed to receive a paper letter--the days of "Please send me one (1) box of typewriter ribbons, item no. 53 in your catalog dated March 1989. I have enclosed a money order for the total." are long gone!

The personal letter retains an element of charm, which is why I'll occasionally drag out the Selectric and bang one out, but suggesting (in classic overblown QRZ fashion) that American society is dying because most people no longer write letters is ridiculous. It's not rocket science; anyone who wishes to write a letter can quite easily look up the appropriate formatting and write a perfectly passable letter, but by no means is it essential to modern life. Deal with it. One might as well lament that children are no longer taught to sharpen quills with a pen-knife. It is amazing to me how often people will condemn schools for teaching "useless" subjects such as literature instead of Important Life Skills, and then turn around and bemoan the fact that The Yoof aren't learning how to write letters or operate a typewriter.

As for "dumbing down", I'd like to know how long it's been since most QRZ members have read a book that wasn't published by the ARRL. I've seen 12 year olds who write better than the average QRZ poster, both from a technical/grammatical standpoint and from the simple ability to string together a few coherent thoughts into a paragraph.

W9AFB likes this.
  5. N8LU

N8LU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 77 years old and I do everything I can electronically. Printing out a FCC Website license is not a problem for me. If it is for someone else I will help them do it for no charge, and I am sure there are lots of other hams out there who would do the same!!

6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="AG5WC, post: 5214413, member: 787229"

The personal letter retains an element of charm, which is why I'll occasionally drag out the Selectric and bang one out...[/QUOTE]

A truly personal letter would be hand-written. ;)

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

stone tablets, that's all I'm sayin'

8. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ham radio operators
    Proposes Eliminating FCC