FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2UNJ

N2UNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WHEW!!! THIS OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS!!! THIS "OLD FART" AT 60 WILL BE FINE WHEN I RENEW IN 2023 I'M SURE! LOTS OF US "OLD FARTS" CAN FIGURE THINGS OUT! WHY GOLLY WE DONE PASSED OUR TESTS DIDN'T WE Y'ALL? GIT 'R DONE!!! 73'S o_O:eek:;)

W1YW likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no need for a mailed hardcopy.

Just download and print.

No need to insult a majority of users here to make that point.

3. KD8EFQ

KD8EFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's aight. Us hacker/pirates are already scribbling on our "REFERENCE COPY" (paper) with our broken crayons that we stole.
    (Intended as uncensored humor)

4. WB9IIV

WB9IIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I'm 86 and don't really give a .. ;)

NE1U likes this.
  5. WB9ROK

WB9ROK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's insulting to the staff at the FCC. There is nothing dishonest about their work.

AA4MB, KU4X, W4EAE and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't find the place to submit a public comment.
    I don't think they should go to all electronics for one reason.
    Anyone, anywhere can print out a license. There are a few websites that allow you to do so.
    What's needed is an easy way to check if a license is indeed valid, current, and/or active.
    Yes you can go to the Zed, or AE7Q etc. but maybe it's just me, but while the ability to print your own
    license is a good thing, there is still a need for "official" documentation. That's just my opinion.
    There are websites that will let you print just about anything these days from false driver's licenses and ID cards
    to scammers printing out fake utility bills. If it can be printed, it can be copied. The printed license IMHO is
    worthless without verification and even that's questionable. I could print out a license with any callsign I want
    and the Zed etc. will verify that the callsign is active. When I moved, I made sure my YL and I both got our licenses
    in the mail. Not only do we have the envelopes those licenses came in, those envelopes are proof that a government
    agency (FCC) mailed them to us. It's why I don't go paperless. Yes, my bank statements both online and paper version
    can prove I paid a bill, there's something reassuring about having solid, tangible proof in your hand.
    As far as old farts go, I'm so old, I'm stale. :)

W3FHT likes this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

That is fine excepting that the printed license is not actually a license at all. It is just a sheet of paper; whether printed and mailed by the FCC or by Bob's Printing.

Legally, your license only exists in ULS--with the exception of the period after you pass a test for an upgrade before it appears in ULS. Even that piece of paper signed by the VEs is not really a license, it is just an endorsement of privileges which is still dependent upon your license listing in ULS.

What most people here are complaining about is something which already happened years ago. And the reasons for that change are exactly the ones you state. Printing can be done by anyone. FCC envelopes and USPS postmarks can be faked by anyone. That is why any paper copy is worthless.

8. WB8DQT

WB8DQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually we are the last service that needs to be brought into the electronic system. I am a 78 year OF and have no problem with the system with my GMRS license that covers my motorcycle radios. Friends can certainly cover those without computers and the services that now exist to get you renewed will be capable as well.

9. WD8MPQ

WD8MPQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm such an "Old Fart" I can remember when politeness and respect were hallmarks of Ham Radio - seems the bright, young ,educated, effete entitlement generation is correcting that for us.

W1YW likes this.
  10. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

When the FCC stopped issuing licenses on "OFFICIAL" paper, i.e. my last renewal, it was e- filed and issued. Went to the web site entered my info, and printed out my new license. Regular printer paper. Well at least across it says "Official Copy". According to the document I read from the FCC, they stated that they were no longer issuing Licenses of the "Special Document Paper" because of the cost. I can understand the necessity to go electronic filing, but the license sure looks nice on "Official Document Paper"

KB2SUJ likes this.