FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I just moved and did a change of address and a vanity change from a 4 to an 8 (Otherwise the same Callsign). Change of address was approved in 2 days. The vanity change was less than two weeks. Nothing wrong with the electronic methods.

Ed

NE1U likes this.
  2. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

As one of the "real old-farts", I think some consideration has to be given those who cannot use a computer for whatever reason. I can't do many of the things I used to do, and hams are not as helpful to other hams as they once were. My antenna went down and it took over a year to get someone to help me fix it; and it was non -hams who did it.

AA4MB, N2NOW, WA5VGO and 2 others like this.
  3. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

That reckless, heartless, and non-politically correct loose cannon WY7BG is an "old fart." ;)

AA4MB and KI7RPM like this.
  4. WD8BPQ

WD8BPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely nice to be able to hang that paper Amateur Radio license up on the wall of the Ham Shack in a picture frame. Guess FCC and ARRL are very lazy these days and money hungry !

K4XJ likes this.
  5. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't be that hard. The USCG allows for Mariners to use a website that produces a PDF with some, or all, of our endorsements that look a lot like the old school licenses they used to issue.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't know you could even still do it by paper mail.

How quaint.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That was proposed by someone a couple of years ago and a docket number was assigned and comments accepted on the FCC's ECFS. There are a number of problems with lifetime licenses that have nothing to do with technology. One I recall was if licenses are good for life, they never come up for review at renewal time since there's no renewal time. This makes it even harder to take a problem licensee off the air. There were enough negative comments that the proposal was shot down. I think they should go back to expiring licenses after 5 years.

KU4X likes this.
  8. KI5AIU

KI5AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm guessing "OF" is the non sexist version of "OM". Not sure I'd like either term. I do have a name (or a call sign if you prefer). Either are acceptable.

73, Don

9. K5CKS

K5CKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Progress is impeded only by the status quo.

10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don - Sorry you are offended by the term 'old fart'. I'm not particularly offended when I'm called that, it depends entirely on how it's used and by who is using it. You can turn any name/title into an insult if you want to. The respectful title of 'sir' can be very insulting, just depends on how it's used and by who (whom?) and also depends on where you are from. The cultural background of the people involved is a factor. Cross culture, cross languages can also be a really big problem. 'Nick-names' for example. In some cultures/societies an insult is a term of endearment. The 'down-n-dirty' fact is to make sure you've been insulted before being insulted. Friends can use insulting 'names' when the same name from a total stranger can result in black-eyes...

WD4IGX and KB2SUJ like this.