FCC Proposes $17,000 Fine for Suburban NYC Repeater Jammer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KS2G, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I read, he went through 'due process' and the case was decided that he had a large fine to pay and is required to 'cease and desist' (which they already did multiple times).
    The guy certainly is five cents short of a nickel.

N2EY likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that may be the whole point.

IMO punishment by fine may take away from medical payments. People in hospice care seldom return to their prior lives. Anyone who has had chemo knows how it messes up your mind. This may prove relevant....who knows?

WA8MEA, JFRIS1964 and KB2SUJ like this.
  3. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I fully agree. I was real sick and I know how illness makes you 'unpleasant'. But the FCC should of pulled his ticket and taken his radios at least.
    How many times did they 'talk to him and just leave'? I have 100% compassion for a guy who makes a mistake and tries to do right. But this guy seems to be deliberately scoffing at the FCC and his fellow HAMs. If his behavior is due to his illness, leaving the gear there and a license (which does not mean much to some) should of been the right step after incident three.
    A felon that commits a crime is not allowed own a firearm. Even if the crime did not involve a weapon or any violence. Not that this guy is a felon but he has clearly demonstrated he should not have access to radio transmitters. Heck, I question if I should have access.....

K4XJ, N2EY and JFRIS1964 like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who knows...maybe his illness became acute in the last couple of years post-offenses.

It could be that they will settle for suspension of license. Oftentimes the FCC wants to 'do the right thing' but has to follow its process and remedies. They are not capricious.

I suspect that if Harold has an attorney he or she is making the case for leniency based on health, and may suggest alternative options. The FCC is seldom able to volunteer those options, but can easily consider them if posed with facts to back it up. Big fines scare off other bad players.

All the FCC REALLY wants is to stop the offending activity and provide a means to prevent its future occurence. They want us to pay attention because there is a false sense that the FCC is not policing the bands any where near what they should ( likely not true).

:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    KD2GMB, N2EY and KB2SUJ like this.
  5. JFRIS1964

JFRIS1964 QRZ Member

New to the HAM radio. I wonder if FCC will do anything to the guy in Tulsa building jammers and setting them all around the I-44 and 161st St area to block anyone from talking on 19? Been happening for years.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

On the ham bands? That's the topic here.

FCC usually only acts based on formal complaints.

K0UO and JFRIS1964 like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The FCC abandoned any meaningful enforcement of CB radio decades ago.

So - no. They won't be doing anything about the Channel 19 jammers

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, K0UO and JFRIS1964 like this.
  8. JFRIS1964

JFRIS1964 QRZ Member

Okay. Like I said, I’m new to this part. Had a CB since I was 14. I have 2 10 meter. Haven’t used them as a 10. Want to but waiting to get me license. I know there are plenty out there just doing it without. I tend to want to do things the right way.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We all encourage you to get your Tech. You will enjoy it and the people.

The FCC does act on CB complaints (it appears)if they are numerous and focused on one individual. Typically this is from high powered transmitters on CB--far in excess of the 5 watt limit.

The FCC has partnered with the ARRL to create the Volunteer Monitor program--this is designed for monitoring ham bands only.

Best to you!

K0UO and KB2SUJ like this.
  10. NK4Z

NK4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

This looks to be the same Harold Guretzky who threatened people with a crossbow because they complained about his airplane parked in his driveway.
    Even if it's not, here is the same K6DPZ on YouTube from January 2014.

Poor old guy, he's gotta be lonely or something.