ad: hrd-2

FCC Proposes $17,000 Fine for Suburban NYC Repeater Jammer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KS2G, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I agree with you about the "profit center" thing to some extent. I think the FCC saw the lure of selling something for millions and millions of dollars (or billions?) that doesn't even belong to them (selling implies ownership, and no one owns a frequency, government or otherwise)... and put a tremendous amount of effort into developing that income stream. HOWEVER, having said that....

I do honestly think they are trying to mend their ways in the enforcement area these days. My evidence of that is the fact that the FCC contacted the ARRL regarding setting up this program and initiated the MoU that eventually resulted. I do honestly believe that they recognize they need to beef up enforcement but they also realize that Part 97 says ham radio is supposed to be self-policing - and this program is the perfect marriage of the two.

It remains to be seen what they do with the whole program. I am 100% positive that the people doing the monitoring will do their job... send in reports of bad things. What the FCC does with those reports is still an open question. Hopefully, we see a flurry of "examples" made of bad operators and that will give the program some teeth.

Let us also remember that this program also has recognition of good operating as part of its mantra. Hopefully the good guys will get some well deserved recognition also.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, they DO own the frequency - in other services.

Consider the AM broadcast band, way back in the late 1920s when the FRC got started, authorized by the various Radio Acts.

The Government issued licenses for all AM BC transmitters, from then until now - almost a century. All such transmitters (except for those "wireless broadcaster" things with an effective range of a few yards) need such licenses. And they have to use them - being off the air too much can result in loss of a license.

Each broadcaster effectively "owns a frequency" because nobody else can use it (within the defined coverage area, anyway). Same for TV, FM, land mobile and many others.

In amateur radio, we individuals don't own the frequency. But the concept exists and has done so since the early days.

3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The selling of a license and the selling of a frequency are two different things. Functionally they may be the same, but if you truly "owned" a frequency, it would be available globally, not based on geo-political boundaries.

4. WW2WW

WW2WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just so all the uniformed don't know is that Harold was a brilliant ham that lost his marbles. He has been committed and its sad what happend to him. Before you bash him he used to give great talks about radio but no one and I mean no one survives mental illness. Its sad. Give him a break he's sitting on drugs drewwling on himself. Maybe he is someones dad who checked out mentally.

Attached Files:

N0TZU, KD2KIQ, KA9JLM and 1 other person like this.
  5. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh, another jammer that's an Extra Class and has been licenced for decades, what a surprise...NOT!

6. K6RQR

K6RQR Ham Member QRZ Page

The "guy" on 3840 and 3908 is none other that a loathsome POS named Billy Crowell, W6WBJ ),"World's Best Jammer", and the FCC has
    been absolutely glacial in their actions in removing this arrogant jerk from the air. A few years ago I heard this idiot on 7255 telling his bros that "jamming is the best part of ham radio". He plays music, including his own covers of popular songs with his own stupid, and in one case, racist lyrics, on the air regularly and I have heard him use profanity as well. Supposedly a retired "lawyer" he insists that there is no law against playing music because it is perfectly legal to play music that has no commercial potential. This is his usual BS. Part 97, which he refers to often, states that the only music allowed on ham radio is music transmitted on 2 and 440 to the International Space Station. Crowell and his ilk are a sh*t stain on ham radio and it just amazes me that he has been getting away with this crap for more than 15 years!!!

7. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello...this is the Federal Commission of Communications. We have a Notice of Apparent Liability For Forfeiture against you. If you do not make immediate payment, the police will come and arrest you. Listen carefully...do not hang-up your phone...you need to go to the nearest CVS or WalMart and get gift cards totaling the amount of $17,000 USD then read me the numbers. My name? My name is Agent Brian Griffin, badge number THX1138. This is not a joke. You must do this immediately...

8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be a big time phone operator. hf and 2 meters. Back when I first got my general license, 2 days right after I got on the air,that's when the trouble started. I got jammed,heckled,etc on 2 meter fm and then I went to 75 meter SSB traffic nets and got jammed there. there was a guy who would record my voice on 2 meters and replay it on 75 meters. The Vermont Amateur auxiliary was suppose go after these people and they never did. many complaints were lodged against him and nothing was ever done. The Mt. Ascutney repeater had this jammier on there and myself and many others could hardly ever make contact where we would get jammed 24/7. I remember when one ham got so PO'ed that he threatened to go up on the mountain and take down everything and the club would never see it ( the repeater and equipment ) again. This was back in the 80's So rather than get my blood pressures up to a dangerous level, myself and others stayed away from that repeater AND 75 meters and went elsewhere. I have slowed returned to that repeater and there are a whole new bunch of really nice people there ( on the mt. Ascutney repeater ) that will not tolerate such BS. Well .....after you have been burned by the fire, you really think twice about going back on there for fear that " he " is still there waiting to start jamming you again or someone else. Those other people have either passed on,moved away or dropped their licenses because they are not on the air anymore. Some are still around,but you never hear them on. 2 meters used to the hams cellphone of the 70's,80's and 90's around here in the twin states. Someone was on the air or monitoring 24/7 and now days, You might here a couple people chatting going to or coming from work. There's nothing for these jammers to do. Since those day of staying off the local repeaters and 75 meters, I went back to digital; cw,rtty,psk 31, js8, olivia,etc. doesn't seem to be any jammers there.............YET.

9. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

instead of listening to 3.08,3.840 or 7.200, listen to the pirate operators on 6.800 khz to 6.7900 khz. There was one such station that was broadcasting these old time radio shows 24/7 on 6.750 am and That was very entertaining!!!. Well....he's gone now...to bad and some of these operator have some really music.

10. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrorists and drug dealers are likely to be better behaved than many others on the band legally since they need to keep a low profile.

W1YW likes this.