FCC posts 8m amateur radio band petition for public comment

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY7BG, Jul 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

REC Networks, a company best known for its work on and for Low Power FM (LPFM) broadcast stations, has submitted a petition to the FCC requesting the allocation of an 8m amateur radio band. This band has already been opened to amateur use in some countries, such as Ireland, Slovenia, South Africa, the UK, and Denmark.

The enhanced propagation characteristics of this band could enable APRS tracking over longer distances and in more hilly and mountainous terrain than is currently feasible on the 2m band. They would also make the band extremely useful for weak signal, limited bandwidth simplex digital modes such as FT8 and FT4.

To view the petition and submitted comments, go to

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?proceedings_name=RM-11843

in the FCC's Electronic Comment Filing System. To submit your own comment, click the "+ Express" button in the box at the upper left of the page. If enough hams chime in, there's a good chance that this spectrum - which consists largely of a little used ISM band - could be made available to us for experimentation, emergency communications, APRS, and other beneficial uses.

KU3N, AC3DH, KO6KL and 2 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was away last week and returned late on Friday. Quickly read over the petition and this jumped out at me...
    " this new band opportunity can be realized to spark
    the next generation of “makers” in the fields of science, technology, education and math (STEM), especially
    women and girls"
    Why the discriminatory language? Should not the "next generation of makers" be all inclusive? Perhaps the petitioner is only seeking the support of female ham radio operators.

NL7W, KN1M, NK2U and 8 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see how the use of ANY ham band SHOULD be sexually dimorphic.

N7KO, N0YPD, NL7W and 6 others like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

the petitioner (KU3N) addresses that issue on the REC website.

I don't know if QRZ allows me to post a link to it, so , find it on your own.

A search for things like" REC networks KU3N 8 meter band FAQ" should get you close.

Also, her video (and later added comments) at the Delmarva hamfest of an ARRL "official" regarding "tech enhancement" is (IMO) absolutely correct.

KU3N, WY7BG and K0UO like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WY7BG, WA0TDA and K0UO like this.
  7. W5DHM

W5DHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at the colors on KU3N's QSL card.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it expresses Michelle's OPINION.

Michelle,IMO, needs to make the next transition point--where everyone is based on merit --and progress, opportunity, and play- for- innovation are blind to gender, color, religion, background, etc.

All are welcome.

N7KO, N0YPD, KM5QS and 2 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Red, white and black. Like a newspaper (of old).

Your point?

W4KVW likes this.
  10. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Red herring. If you believe that there are different reasons why the FCC should allocate an 8m ham band, state those in your comment instead!

N7KO, KM4OP and K0UO like this.