ad: AlphaRF-1

FCC Monitoring Stations?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB9SBD, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB9SBD

WB9SBD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a while,

But does the FCC actually have monitoring stations any more?

Reason asking last nigh ( 10 PM ) for a Long time there was right dab smack on 14.000 a lsb signal of what sounded like a commercial broadcast station.

Yes i know i guess technically being lsb and on 14.000 it's out of our band, but is it really? and there is no broadcast band there anyway true?

Joe

KN6CKG and N3VJR like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the AFRN (Armed Forces Radio Network) and they are indeed allowed to transmit there.

WB2WIK/6

3. WB9SBD

WB9SBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Really/

That's somewhat cool, I remember in my SWL days B 4 becoming a amateur listening to ADRTS all the time on the boradcast bands,

But know that i havent heard them in years, when did they go to ssb? and 14.000 is really a leagal spot?

wow.

joe

4. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Eye guess that kerrect speling aint rekwired here on qrz know mo', sew I will jest dew th best I can with synonyms .

I aint heard no one voilating any of the fcc precious rules and regulations in a long, long time..most of those weak trashy stations that break the rules dont make the trip to my g5rv, so I never get the thrill of getting to hear their muffled audio and crappy sound .

But monitoring stations ARE needed, with real people to monitor ( not computers ).

I think the fcc should take a more active stand in trying to catch the violators and not just slap their wrist for a penalty.....I cant put in words how I feel about violators for it would get me banned in less time than it took to type up this post ( some of you would like that ) .

more later

5. N4DES

N4DES Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they do but most of those that are in remote locations are controlled remotely. The FCC has severly reduced the # of field offices over the last decade that used to house the monitoring stations.

6. KD4AMG

how do you have a " remote monitoring station " and even more so,
    how do you control it via remote control ?

Sounds like science fiction to me...... !!

What happened to using qualified PEOPLE to man/ woman these stations , and having at least one per USA State in use 24/7 ( including weekends and holidays ) ?

We have qualified or trainable folks who NEED work that could do this kind of stuff . ( No I aint referring to myself, that might be construed as being biased )

So why cant the FCC do this ...I know, blame it on budget cuts by CONGRESS ..

We have the equipment...we have the manpower...we have the money ( look how mucvh we sent to Iraq and the results ).

No I aint contacting my convgreeman...we are in the election process of deciding between 2 honest men as to which will go to Washington D C .

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard many "tales" of FCC monitoring capabilities today. Some of these tales have assured me that the FCC can pinpoint the location of an unidentified station within something like one-third of a second.

I suppose they don't bother.

In fact, I wonder what they DO do. Who do they monitor? If anyone? Not broadcast radio, that's for sure. Many stations, especially AM BC stations, have a lot of technical problems that go for years without anyone particularly caring.

In the "old days" the FCC did monitor. A lot. Not constantly, but at least enough to make people nervous about breaking rules. They cited broadcast stations for things like over modulation, hum on the signals, anything that reduced signal quality or accuracy.

The FCC did not monitor military communications, even then. So if they aren't monitoring hams, CBers, marine (well, I have heard they do listen to marine band now and then) aviation, broadcast, television, or satellite TV/Radio, just what DO they do? They don't monitor suspected spy stations. That's done by NSA. They don't monitor cell phone conversations. That's the FBI. They don't monitor broadcast. No one does.

I think they just monitor the break room and the lunch room. Maybe the office copy machine? Possibly the ladies' rest room? The coffee machine? And of course, email from the cute chick down the hallway.

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my R7s came from the Allegan, MI monitoring facility. I have bills of sale for the receiver and a number of accessories, all signed by the acting station chief. This rig differs from its brethren in that a buffered IF output was added to the rear panel; ostensibly for use in analyzing the received signal. Its labelling and construction appear "factory", according to a buddy of mine who worked at Drake.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the "goode olde dayes" when the FCC had monitoring stations like the one in Powder Springs, Georgia, and the one near Denison, Texas, they definitely monitored various frequencies up to 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Unfortunately, starting in the late 1970s the FCC started shutting down these monitoring stations. The late W5IDZ, who lived in Sherman, Texas, was the chief engineer at the Denison monitoring station. He retired when the facility was "shut down". IDZ was the "head" of the W5 QSL Bureau during the 1970s. He also was a member of the Richardson Wireless Klub (K5RWK) and used to bring down QSL cards every month to those volunteers who handled various letters (I handled the S, T, and U cards).

Now days various FCC field offices do have monitoring facilities as well as remote monitoring points. The Dallas FCC office is a little over 5 miles from me (located on IH-635 about a mile south of the Richardson city limits). The office is housed in a 10 story office building which is also on a hill top. The roof of the building is covered with antennas for almost "DC to light". Now I know that the Dallas office does not constantly monitor any of the r.f. spectrum. However, they do "spot check" all services (including amateur radio) and will issue notices of violations if deemed necessary. I believe that it is "safe to assume" that the other FCC offices do the same.

Glen, K9STH

10. KD4AMG

THANK YOU Glen

for letting us know the facts in this situation.

So --- in simple terms --- we may never know when the fcc is listening, so we should ALL be our BEST behavior at all times to escape being noticed by the possibility of the fcc actually listening to what we are saying.

Behave yourselves...also rememmber that the FCC does not move real fast.

Just because you broke the rules on July 1, 2008 and you aint heard from the fcc in the next 24 hours does not mean that you got away with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.