ad: TinyPaddle-1

Favorite Hamfest?

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KM4BLG, Nov 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all,

Just wondering, what's your favorite hamfest?

NOTE: Dayton doesn't count. Everyone who's been probably agrees that it's the best. Haven't been but want to go.

Mine is Shelby. It's nice because it's only a 2 hour drive away from where I live.

Zach - KM4BLG

W5KUL likes this.
  2. AE4JA

AE4JA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, but the old Ten Tec hamfests were a blast too...

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Kind of a silly question given that ham fests by and large are a regional thing - there may well be one in Houston, Calgary, or Johannesburg that would be the best I've ever attended but I can pretty much guarantee you I'll never see it :)

But that said, my personal favorite is the WA Mic and Key Club fest held in March at the Puyallup Fair Grounds in, well, Puyallup :) (And for those who won't know, it's pronounced: pew-AL-up)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What Dave said......
    I've been to many other WWA Hamfests which are no where near the size of Puyallup and had a very good time. Nothing I could see to buy, but met up with many old timers and had a great chat or three. Most of these are held in schools so I had no problem buying the way over priced cheeseburger to help out the school activities.

5. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

Shelby because it's the only large one less than an hour away.

W5KUL likes this.
  6. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Houston and there are quite a few options but my favorite has always been the Orange, Texas Hamfest mainly because I know more people personally that show up for that one.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been to one Hamfest since I've been ticketed and that was because I lived there in Dayton...

Picked up my MFJ Antenna analyser there..My buddy that shamed me into getting ticket, and our wives made a day of it...

So I don't have anything to compare it with.
    With all the Dayton hamvention-Hara rumors I am wondering if there truely will be
    a Dayton Hamvention for 2016.
    BUT
    Since Dayton doesn't count please disregard this post.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a yute, the TRW flea market was the best. I don't know what they're like now.

9. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VA Beach used to be my favorite. Been twice, got my first ticket there in 93', went again in 08' upgraded to general. It has gotten so small only a handfull of vendors and a very small "crowd", maybe a dozen people in the building.

Richmond Frostfest is my new favorite.

10. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the hamfests at Rickreall in Feb,and OCT,and the Mike and Key in March

W4IOA likes this.
  11. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in Virginia, I used to enjoy attending the Frostfest in Richmond, and
    Zach, I used to enjoy going to VA Beach's hamfest, too. I'm sorry to hear it's gotten so small. Richmond's Frostfest was always fun. It was out on the east side of Richmond when I lived there. Enjoy. It's coming up quickly.

http://frostfest.com/wp/

I'll be at the hamfest in Schertz, TX this weekend!!

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/san-antonio-radio-club-fiesta

73 de David AE4LH

12. WA2ISE

WA2ISE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Bergen Amateur Radio Association (Bergen County NJ) is pretty good in that it's about 5 miles from my QTH.

13. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

Shelby Hamfest just outside of Charlotte, NC.
    http://www.shelbyhamfest.com/

I've been to many, many hamfests in many states over the years (including Dayton at least 15 times). Shelby is a favorite of mine. It is well attended, has an extensive flea market, on-site camping and a park like setting.

W5KUL likes this.
  14. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having taken Dayton out of the equation Timonium, MD has always been very good but like many no where near the attendance and vendors etc. of years past just a sign of the times in fact believe they moved to a smaller venue this past year. Again as Dave indicated it's kind of a regional thing unless you don't mind the travel.