ad: Flexradio-1

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

"Everything's an antenna", I often say; it would appear just as you. From the DIY plumbing aisle to electrical, to the county recycle yard and any campground I pull in to.

Just ask KC8VWM, there's many kindred spirits out here!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

AK5B and M0MCX like this.
  2. G1WZM

G1WZM Ham Member QRZ Page

100% agree Callum, it's exactly like the 'when you only have a hammer, you look for things to hit' analogy. For an antenna builder, everything has antenna potential either as signal carrier, insulator, or a device to hold it all up.
    In Finland I built and used a 20m vertical from a Christmas tree stand and Ikea curtain rods... and a 2M halo from a broomstick and building ties. Being above a granite rock, I used an 80m fullwave loop above the (rented) house. In Singapore, it was a 'fishing line' longwire off the third floor balcony after midnight made from a windbreak pole, plastic tubing, and heavy lead weights to stop it landing on a lower-neighbour balcony with RF on the end!

Attached Files:

3. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't mean to sound rude but he does have the formula right. He is showing the calculation for the lengths of each individual element at 1/4 wavelength long to make up the complete 1/2 wave dipole.

4. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now this looks like a fun project to try, just my kind of antenna. Having great success with a homebrew longwire and the hobby is much more fun to make something that works well rather than the mundane commercial stick in the sky. Sure go commercial for VHF/UHF but homebrew HF antennas are truly great fun and can be cheap as chips to make.