Fake Ruben Gordon

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA1MXL, May 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NB6P

NB6P Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy sent me an unsolicited email regarding an Icom 706 Mk II G yetserday morning. I had posted on a few listing for 706's and none of them had anything to do with him. The email he sent from was r.gordon3131@gmail.com

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You mentioned in another post that you are new at this so here are some thoughts that might ease your learning curve. Sometimes we unwittingly facilitate a scammer by doing things that appear benign but actually mark us as an easy target. You posted a willingness to buy a common radio on one seller's ad who had a QRZ listed email and on another ad where the seller specifically asked for email contact. It's always better to go the email route or use the 'Conversation' feature if the seller does not have a listed email. If the scammer sees you posting a response to an ad rather than following the contact instructions, he will assume you're an easy mark and target you. Yes, I know these posts are common practice on QRZ and that's one of the major things that keeps the scammers in business here.

KJ4POM likes this.
  3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RLD de KA2FIR hw?

4. KJ4POM

KJ4POM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just completed the verifying process. wonder how long it takes to show completed. I see it below your call sign.

5. KJ4POM

KJ4POM Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that you are verified. I just got the verification myself. good program

6. AJ4GQ

Smart move! I think it takes 2 or 3 working days but it's probably best to ask a Moderator. Fred says we should all use 2FA also. https://www.qrz.com/manager/two-factor

KJ4POM likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ password and the other is a time limited secret code, called a token, that is either generated by an App on your device, or is sent to you via text message.
    Is there a version that works for people who don't have a cellphone?

8. AJ4GQ

I think you need a smartphone but I wish Jamie or a Moderator would weigh in and help everyone with 2FA and Verified. Seems to be a real problem.