Extreme DXing

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KJ4VTH, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a station operating from a fairly rare country and he is adamant that those calling him should be for new country contact only.

Despite his requests he has some folks calling him two or more times in the recent past. He seems to have had his fill of such nonsense and called some of them out to the effect of 'What's wrong with you? Are you even listening before you call?'

God bless him and I am grateful to add another entity to my log and he has much more patience than I might have in the same circumstance.

2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Who, pray tell? And yes, bless him.

Of course, if he does this every time he comes in, it keeps folks from some of the newer awards. But to do this on a semi-regular basis is cool.

Bill

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That operator would probably do just as well by search and pounce. That's where you look around the band and contact those that are already operating. Make the contact and move before there is a spot made. No pile ups, no strain and it is the folks that are already operating that reap the benefit. This is unlike the custom of being spotted and having a feeding frenzy pop up on the band from folks that never operate unless it is a DX station they want. Think about it, you would be rewarded by a DX station because you are actually on the air and that station heard you and contacted you.
    Now I'm going to take my idealistic thought away for now.
    Gary

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Spotting programs are one of the best things to ever happen period only those who are unable to work a pileup complain about it.

I heard a rare one exclude an entire country Spain for there rude ops a lot of them all at once. I did work him on 2 bands and may never hear him again ZD8.

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true. I can work a pileup, but don't enjoy them and will go to great lengths to avoid them. I don't chase awards and for me the romance of ham radio is lost when you're fending off jammers and cops. I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way. And I don't like spots precisely because they're pileup creators.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Religion washing over into ham radio , and every other facit of life .
    There is only one way to be a ham , its my way - bad , wrong etc.
    Its a big hobby , or can be , just find what suits you and enjoy .
    If there is something on air you do not like , then don't play .
    If the Extreme DXer wants to operate with some rules , then there they are .
    I would like to see more stations , tell bad behaving operators that they will not be responded to .
    Bad behavior will only increase if it is always just given what it wants , it seem a few generations ago , the pets and children have taken over and run the pack :)

7. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Elaborate on that statement, please Sir .

8. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you are not the only one.

AB1QP

---->> i. use. your. radio. frequencies.

9. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Guest

That rare station you mention is not me (XZ1K), but I operate using search and pounce, because it is the 'fairest' way to give everyone a chance to work my small station. I found that if I stayed on one frequency, within a few minutes the spotters created a massive 'JA wall' of callers, and it was totally impossible for anyone outside my immediate region to get a contact.

As has been said S&P rewards those who are calling CQ ...

Simon

10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Watched the spots of late and worked Yemen, Bhutan and a couple other new ones. That being said, I'm not so sure I like the spotting. It did help me but if internet DX spotting went away and I had to hunt for them I wouldn't be totally distraught. Or even mildly distraught.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.