Extra Class 12-Week Study Class Tacoma, WA - actually learning concepts, not memorization

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W7UUU, Aug 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If anyone is near Tacoma, WA and is interested in actually learning the concepts involved to pass the current Extra Class License exam, this is a rare opportunity. Most such classes are "memorize the book and take the test". This class is not that! This is TWELVE WEEKS, with two instructors teaching the material.

There is no charge for the class, but there are required books that you'll have to supply - please see the link below for details. The club has no financial interest in the books. They don't even sell them.

W7DK is one of the oldest radio clubs in the US, with the distinction of owning their own clubhouse building - which is where the classes are held each week.

FULL DETAILS HERE: http://w7dk.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158&catid=128&Itemid=118

I will be the Docent for the October 30th and November 6th classes, opening and closing the clubhouse (among others there both nights), making coffee, etc. and would look forward to meeting anyone who wishes to join us.

Our instructors are top notch - Dave Brooks N7HT and Galen Sutton KA7UQH will be sharing the duties of instruction. Both have hundreds of hours teaching these materials.

It's never been easier to obtain your Extra, but having the solid understanding of a course like this is invaluable. Just the price of books is all you pay (which you can get on your own - our club has no vested interest).

I got my Extra on my Birthday in June 1997 - I wouldn't have it any other way than to hold the Extra Class License, and this class will help you attain just that. Why not strive for the top license in our hobby?

For contact - (also check out www.W7DK.org):

For more information or to register, please contact Dave Brooks, N7HT at: dbbrooks@hotmail.com or call 253-363-1692

Thanks for reading this,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    AB3TQ, N0TZU, KQ4MM and 3 others like this.
  2. KQ4MM

KQ4MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7UUU .. Thats Awesome, sadly no such course exists near me else that would be incentive for me to move up from Advanced.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU - Would there be any chance of getting this recorded and thrown up on youtube? That would be an excellent resource! Currently trying to study for General & Extra at the same time. In my spare time that is.

WB0MPB and NS8N like this.
  4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going to say the same thin as KD5RKO. It would be cool if you could record it and provide it to others out of reach of your club. Even if you put it on DVD and sold it for a small fee to help defray your costs or set it up for download for a small donation to the club via Paypal. Just a thought.
    John, WB0MPB

KD5RKO likes this.
  5. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd pay for it! In fact there is a feature on youtube where you can charge a fee to view a video.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I will check with the club next board meeting - Wednesday of next week - and ask about the feasibility of doing this. It's 3 hours per session, 12 sessions - that's a LOT of video and I doubt we'll have anyone with the wherewithal to tackle a project like that. Very doubtful. Certainly not me - I travel extensively for my business so cannot possibly attend all the sessions, much less deal with 36 hours of video to process!

But I'll certainly propose it to the board. Were it to be possible (and I doubt that) there would be no charge. Our legal status is such we cannot "charge for stuff".

Don't hold your breath though :)

I'll post in this thread when I have a consensus of the board.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct it would be labor intensive but you might have someone that just loves to do that kind of video and editing. We have a guy at church that just loves doing that and does that with every service, not just one per week, the church has. Remember the old saying....................................
    steviewonder1.jpg
    Myself if I knew how to do it would love to do it because I don't go to church every day. I use to love to make memorial tribute slide shows for families at the funeral home. That was labor intensive with scanning the pictures and setting up the video and then setting it to music.

John, WB0MPB