ad: NI4L-2

ex-K1MAN is SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, May 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not many seem to object to the similar one-way "bulletin service" broadcasts that have been on 1860 Khz AM from WAØRCR for years.

Undoubtedly it was the content of Baxters broadcasts, rather then the actual RF transmission in ham bands, that was the actual target. Less "politically correct" and therefore objectionable, especially in New England with proximity to the ARRL HQ.

The League and the "Old Boys' of ham radio have always been very keen on censorship and opaqueness, which seems to extend throughout the organization, from elections up into the board room.

Ironically, with the decline in commercial SWBC, now there are a few enterprising hams taking over those facilities and keeping them feebly alive! And on the proper frequencies for that activity.

73 de John - WØPV

K7JOE likes this.
  2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

It used to be a great magazine for hams. Today, QST sets a low bar when talking "content". Pick up a QST from the late 1970's/ early 1980's and compare to today. How many pages, how many articles. Even the font is now "easy-read" size, causing fewer articles to get printed. Kinda like VOA news in special english...

The magazine back 25 years ago also had advertising, however, ads were relegated to side-bars and the back of the magazine. It was not the majority of what the members pay for. Today QST reads more like a picture book of ads than a technical and radio operation oriented magazine. It's gone way down hill from what it once was technically. How many months in a row do they need articles on how to build various coax fed dipole antennas? Maybe it's the audience -must be lots and lots of techs, generals and extras who never been on HF and either can't or simply don't want to build even a simple dipole antenna.

Back in the day, QST had competition from Ham Radio magazine, CQ magazine, 73 Magazine and a few others. They had to stay relevant with new material. Now it's all re-hash of what's already on the internet. No new ideas. No competition to inspire.

Take the field day topic - what a waste of time - download the packet, something like 16 pages of bureaucratic rules and regulations of what you can and can't "do" and nearly nothing ..NOTHING...about how or where to actually go out and get on the air.

3. KD7IIC

KD7IIC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the end of that battle...:p

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

QST changed to reflect and entice the majority of hams today (in the US) which are--wait for it--'just in case' hams. These are techs that seldom get on the air and define HR by their HT's. OTOH, the majority of ARRL --members-- are old (over 60) and not Techs. Its a fine line to attract one while not alienating the other.

The ARRL is smartly courting greater OTA activity , in any form. QST says that squarely. Witness the cool 'checkered picnic table' cover for the June issue.Its Field Day!

But I have to be honest: being old, and technical, there's not a lot in it for me. I actually read it FOR the ads!

Chip W1YW

K7JOE likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is purely a result of two factors: 1) the old (not merely aging) demographic; 2) younger generation not buying (mostly paper) magazines.

I recommended a while back that the ARRL partner or buy out Fred (QRZed) so as to re-capture the ear of hams.

Hams still read--but they are reading QRZed. Not CQ, Not QST.

ARRL's business plan invokes major generation of revenue through hard-copy publication. Obviously that approach has been 'disrupted' by the internet as a delivery mechanism.

The on-line QST is pretty cool BTW. So the transition is there. But older hams , while fewer as magazine subscribers, insist on hard-copy.

Ultimately its a conflict of technology with demographics.

K7JOE likes this.
  6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I barely remember 1999...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember the 60's vividly.

Basically there are periods of time where people are crazy. Late 60's was one such period. Now we are in another.

Turn up the Eagles the neighbors are listening....

K2MOB likes this.
  8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Flipping over cow patties?

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a 'shroom in sight.

KD8DEY and WF9Q like this.
  10. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I dealt with the good side of him..I remember getting medical supplies to El Salvador and he paid for my trip to Miami to get them down there..I used to visit his station on Belgrade Lakes..what a great qth that was and his collins radio set up..Thanks for bringing this up..73

KB4QAA likes this.