ad: portazero-1

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"Triapoles" are far more interesting!

But they make lousy "antannas"....

I am fed up with diapole antannas......too much feedback. Not a good match. I'm into "new clear' topics.

2. AB1ZT

AB1ZT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On the other hand, the computer driven generation is going to start mocking the old curmudgeons who can't write simple C++ algorithms to compute a simple formula to determine the length of a 40 meter 1/2 wave dipole. Times change and you have to change with it or you're going to be left behind. Knowing how to change a tire is a cool thing if you're 100 but I would rather have my children not change a tire on the side of a road where they are most likely going to be a victim of some elder driver running them over. It's a petty argument. Be an Elmer and offer guidance instead of criticism.

3. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a kid I sat out in the driveway for the better part of the morning trying to get the tire off my old Dart, the neighbor came by and told me they were left hand threads.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice shot. Cheap, but nice.

Wow. Just. Wow.

On this I agree to a point and within reason.

Another nice shot. Cheap, but nice.

...or one of their precious, snowflake peers texting or taking a selfie while driving.

Says you. Others disagree.

I trust you'll practice what you preach.

5. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a meta for?

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an ajective:

met·a
    [ˈmedə]
    1. (of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.
      "the enterprise is inherently “meta,” since it doesn't review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies"

I have heard it used extensively in urban areas referring to the people who apply flecking in car paint. There seems to be many Meta Fleckers there.

7. WA2FGK

WA2FGK Ham Member QRZ Page

75-80 meters is so wide a band, that no one antenna will work unless you have a big fat tuner, or two different antennas

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

... or you make the girth of the elements substantial enough (good luck with that...).

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah. There are wider band single antenna solutions for 80/75. Go look. Not even referring to mine.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or a cage dipole.
    [​IMG]

Ni4L sells these as 80m cage dipole kits with all the wires, insulators, etc. Covers the entire band with VSWR <2:1.

11. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

In order to have the best IMD performance, most solid state transmitters and amps need the VSWR to be as close to 1:1 as possible. Most solid state rigs start to "fold back" the output power if the VSWR is more than 1.5:1. That's why many rigs have a built-in "tuner" with a limited matching range, typically <3:1. Most hams don't have the room to erect 10 separate "resonant" antennas for each band from 160M thru 10M. It is MUCH easier and cheaper to install a couple of simple single-wire doublets and use an antenna matcher to bring the VSWR to 1:1. This also allows you to compensate for changes in the VSWR due to the weather, dry vs. rain or snow. Losses in the tuner are very small as long as the antenna is at least 4/10ths of a wavelength long.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    WA7PRC likes this.
  12. K5NJP

K5NJP Ham Member QRZ Page

good work

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    KR3DX likes this.
  13. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are those pvc closet (toilet) flange extensions? Home Depot might give you the contractor price if you buy that many.

14. K7ZAR

K7ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT???>>> Velocity of Medium/Freq of Source=Lambda... Works for sound also... Like 1120 feet(speed of sound) per sec/1200 Cycle per second audio tone/ ... = lambda of 1 foot (LOOP) for a very Loud Speaker (TUNED)… RF is 300x10 to the 6th Meters(speed of light) per sec (velocity of medium)/Source of Freq in MHz... I just don't understand all these CHEATER short cuts for Understanding... I was born with a Calculator... Some say it's 468 divided by...….... I say, and what does that 468 mean??? They say, I don't know, I'm a No Code Extra... I say did ya pay under the table?? Or read some good Gordon Books??? I already knew they did NOT read Gordon... he explains everything... Boy boy boy, lets don't let no one mess with the Art... They say, well my buddy said If I pay his electric bill for a year he sign saying I passed!!! Oh I say, that's cause NATO has our money, and we don't have FCC OFFICE TESTS where you wear a Tie and only have a Pencil!!!!… Or US Govt Light House Of The Blind writing pens, now the pens are from a company a lobbyist who pays his Club dues OWNS... Then they understand and I say "ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, WE WILL TEACH YOU"... #1 is>>> "Check Billy in" and did Karl from 14275 die? I mean 14313? LOL... hahaha... Lets don't worry about it, cause on the radio I explain the difference... I tell ya the problem, there really is not one... Their thinking 468 is the Magical Unicorn... LOLOL... A Flat Earther... yep, their all Flat Earther No-Coders... GUESS WHAT? >>> The World is Not Flat... OMG!!! I'm no Flat Earther and Neither is my Radio... It's alright, that's why there's daytime 7255 and night time 3840 to teach the Flat Earthers... Oh No Mr. Bill, NOOooooooooo… Poof, let there be light, Were here for ya NewBee's… I'm going to get crap for this.... LOL...

15. KD5ALD

KD5ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is not much to know about a dipole !
    Get a balanced tuner tuner !
    A wire at least 1/2 wave long as the lowest band you operate !
    Make or buy some balanced feedline !
    Put your dipole as high as you can !
    What is wrong ???
    :)