ad: chuckmartin

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some hams act like they're so smart because they memorized the formula for making a dipole. The real hams were the pioneers who designed the radios and antennas which were the stepping stones that led to what we have today. So you memorized a formula... and?

W1ECB and (deleted member) like this.
  2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been A ham since Oct. 1978 and still learning. Just because you memorize A few things to pass A test does not mean A thing.
    I am still learning things about this hobby , like HUMILITY . This post might be getting off track. Just sayin.
    I agree with W3ATT..

K4XJ and W3ATT like this.
  3. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can get ANY formula that I might need without the aid of a computer. Because I can operate a book.
    Tnx & 73, Onno

4. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, I would enjoy a QSO with WN1MB.
    Look up the definition of "condescending" - then apply it to you.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget that if you accidentally bump the VFO and change frequency by a few kHz, you'll need to go outside and add a couple more hundredths of an inch to your antenna.

WA7PRC and WN1MB like this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just Google "diapole" and you'll find all the information you need.

W5TTP likes this.
  7. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun! It is what it is all about!

W3ATT likes this.
  8. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

A good hail or windstorm will do it faster than anything, ...misaligns the store sat link . 24 pumps and they couldn't sell one gallon gas or even a candy bar. Been there... done that... couldn't buy the T shirt. And it wasn't in the boonies either, I35 San Antonio.

WN1MB likes this.
  9. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ has diapoles for the HAM challenged and may have a solution for "blown" tires as well. What exactly is a "blown" tire anyway? How can one drive today's vehicles with their lips on only one of four air valves? And, while we are at it, one of the funniest things a guy can watch is one of today's drools who has his hands full of Whole Foods yogurt and berry containers attempting to open the suv rear door when the foot operated mechanism fails! Life is just full of adventures. Just use the 468 formula,
    Trim for swr, and we should enjoy the experience of learning something new. What the heck, that is the best part of our hobby. Why, maybe even when we see a fellow experiencing the trials and tribulations of a failed modern convenience, we can bast in the knowledge that "the antenna is a homebrew dipole, gosh, it has worked so well for me"!

WN1MB likes this.
  10. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Very important! I recall a new ham that was into emergency communications....I think "they who know" refer to it as "comms". She bought the top of the line boofunk handheld and a reflective vest. After the meeting, she went home and practiced with no avail. After entering 911 time after time, the effort was aborted.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Everything I know about 'dipoles' is wrong...

OK,,,,

Let's start with 'sign waves'.... they sure have their ups and downs. To wit:

12. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm horrified -- another job outsourced to a machine. :eek:

KO5V and W1YW like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A 'sine' of the times ;-)

VK6APZ/SK2022 and KK5JY like this.
  14. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The velocity factor for coax is valid ONLY when it's used as a transmission line, that is, when there is equal but opposite voltage and current in the center conductor and shield. If coax is used as an antenna element, such as a "coaxial dipole", it's velocity factor is the same as ordinary insulated wire. The length to diameter ratio of coax compared to that of insulated wire is different, so there is a slight shortening effect due to the fact that coax is "thicker".

15. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

See that's the problem...

Many people who don't understand metric are always trying to "convert" everything back and forth for some apparent reason when it isn't needed. When you do everything using metric, you don't have to do any kind of converting anymore because Metric becomes a way of thinking and a frame of mind.

Everything is easier and more mathematically logical using metric. For example in metric, "0" degrees Celsius is the freezing point of water and not the illogical number of 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Similarly, water boils at a simple "100" degrees Celsius and not the illogical number of 212 Fahrenheit.

...Get the picture why Metric becomes a frame of mind?

Even building antennas is much easier using Metric. For example, there's no arbitrary "fractions of an inch" issues to contend with when you're measuring everything using Millimeters.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018