ad: M2Ant-1

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7WS

N7WS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no, we don't.

2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AE7XG

Now is the time for all new hams to put down their crutches(computers) and work it out on paper. Knowing how to make and antenna in an emergency is paramount .

W5TTP, WN1MB and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  4. AE7XG

WOW nice job .

5. AE7XG

Soil composition comes to mind...

6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

These "beginners" can't count change back either but I digress...

K4XJ and WN1MB like this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful there...someone will jump all over you pontificating about how that skill isn't necessary anymore.

Just wait for the power to go out or the cash register to crash, then watch the cripple circus. The scary thing is that there are two generations of them out there...

Here's another one for you: old school analog VTVM - the potential for more high quality entertainment! ;)

K9GLS and AE5GT like this.
  8. KL7AAR

KL7AAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pencil, paper and a 3rd grade education is all that is needed to to calculate a dipole length.

K4XJ, WA5VGO and WN1MB like this.
  9. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Could not have passed my novice test in 1962 at age of 15 without knowing how to calculate the length of a dipole.
    Larry KB0R

K0PV/SK2023, WA5VGO and WN1MB like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thing you had your smart phone with you. Oh, wait...never mind. ;)

WA5VGO likes this.
  11. KX1B

KX1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Use Metric and be done with it. The dipole will be measured in meters or centimeters (if you're using VHF/UHF or microwave), therefore it makes sense to use a metric calculation to derive a metric value as the solution.

Even though I live in one of the few places in the world that still uses the English (or Imperial) system, I never learned exactly how many pints go into a gallon, or ounces there are in a stone. Why use such arbitrary values when a perfectly logical measuring system used by the rest of the world exists along side of it.

SA1CKE likes this.
  12. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

I might have used my slide rule.

13. AC8PR

AC8PR Ham Member QRZ Page

What I like about Linux is it uses metric keyboards... plus it can run using Pi without the filling oozing out.

14. VE1PEW

VE1PEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 for the metric school of thought. Why use feet, inches and a portion of inches when one can simply use metric. Which coincidentally matches our common names for wavelengths of frequencies we use. For 40m cut a couple pieces of wire a little better than 10m long each. Join them to your coax in the middle. Raise it up and trim as needed. Calculate all you want and you still need to do all of these steps.

I was baffled as to why I had to learn the 468/f in MHz calculation to get my license when I live in a country that uses the metric system. All it did was mean I had to calculate in Imperial and convert to metric when I couldn't find a tape measure in feet and inches in my shop.

SA1CKE likes this.
  15. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem would be to get a building permit for some 80 meters high towers in order to arrange a dipole for the 160m band. And you'd probably have to discuss it with the FAA or similar for your country to get all the necessary permits.

Then imagine what you'd have to do for the 2200m band.

In addition to that - you'd need a good piece of land to put them towers on as well.