ad: elecraft

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They have grown up with "do not attempt" shown on every ad for a product and they have taken that to heart.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That wont work for many because you forgot to include the necessary shortening as an inverted V. So for the next time use ~ -3%
    Then to take it a step further apply the ground effect shortening for antennas below 1/4 wave or so. That also changes the feed impedance so if the VSWR is worse than 1:1 an expensive antenna tuner may be needed.:rolleyes:

Carl
    Ham since 1955 and still building my own antennas from wires to multi element yagis.

VK6APZ and WN1MB like this.
  3. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most new cars don't come with spares anymore, mine did not. I had to buy one for it. At least it had a place to store it and a jack. He would have had fun with my old Plymouth, it had left hand threads on the left side wheels.

4. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked for me. 468/7.2375/2= 32.33ft which got me a 1.3: swr across the band.

5. WB4BLY

WB4BLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Also the height above ground and the orientation of the dipole elements as well as proximity to metallic objects affect the actual length for resonance at any frequency. Any calculator is only a quick math substitute to get you in the ball park and then you can fine tune for resonance at the desired operating frequency.
    Since I did not have a computer until 1980, I used a slide rule to calculate. I wonder how many people know what one is?

Joe
    WB4BLY

VK6APZ, VK2WP, N1YR and 1 other person like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have my K&E from the 60's but havent used it since hand held scientific calculators became affordable. Used various bench versions at work.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR the computer generation, it works like this

256, 128, 64, 32, 16 ... POWERS of 2, right (2^8, 2^7 etc.)?

The above are the approximate 1/2 wavelengths for -

160 - 80 - 40 - 20 - 10 meters respectively.

(for other bands, freqs, consult the formula for a starting point ...)

VK6APZ, VK2WP and WN1MB like this.
  8. KK6JKC

KK6JKC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw what you did there.

9. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

What's even crazier is buying a simple dipole and paying 90 bucks for it. Coax extra, connectors... add more $$.

K8AI, KR3DX, W5TTP and 2 others like this.
  10. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is how I did the calculations for my antenna in 2014: $39.00 + 7.5 percent sales tax + $4.00 gas + 1 hour of time = my new 10 thru 40 meter antenna from HRO. :)

party_on.jpg

KH2RU and KA9JLM like this.